GM paint issues -- need help!!!

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
anybody know what GM's paint defect policy is?:noes:

Heres whats going on...I own a 06 Trailblazer SS with about 88,000miles. I had is washed at the local full service car wash and I noticed something wierd once I got home...little tiny orange specs on the drivers door and front fender. I will try and get some pics - I was wondering if anybody had any info on if i could have GM take care of this issue or not....only thought about GM cuz of what happened in the late 80s/early 90s - any info is greatly appreciated!!!

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I'd consult Kevin at paf. I'm not a detailer kinda guy I just know after a track day or auto-x event most people wipe down the fenders and doors cause of brake dust embedding in the clear and then rusting.

It may come off with a clay bar or might need to be buffed

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
is your tbss white by chance?
maybe some of the wax from the wash didnt mix right since it's so cold. i've seen this on white cars/suvs in this type of weather, and being white it's more noticeable
yup its white... how do i get it off? maybe scratch doctor? or just wash it again?

I'd consult Kevin at paf. I'm not a detailer kinda guy I just know after a track day or auto-x event most people wipe down the fenders and doors cause of brake dust embedding in the clear and then rusting.

It may come off with a clay bar or might need to be buffed

i will keep this in mind - thanks

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
More than likely it is steel shavings from the snow plows unless you waited to change the brake pads until they were cutting into the rotor. Either way do not be worried, this comes out with the use of a clay bar. I would never buff a clear coat with a bunch of contaminants in the clear. Get some 3M Perfect-It clay, some spray detailer, and it will come out.

98GTPDriva

TCG Elite Member
Jun 24, 2008
Clay bar is the answer... I had rail dust all-over my GP when I bought it. I clay-barred the hell out of it and the paint was flawless. Waiting until the end of winter is not an issue either. Be prepared to use some elbow grease. Some spots are much more stubborn than others. Just make sure you give the TBSS a very good wash before you clay bar. You don't want to lessen the life of your clay bar anymore that necessary. Also, don't use the entire piece of clay, cut it into 3-4 pieces depending on the size you purchase. That will give you more life out of it as well. When it goes bad, you can still use it on your wheels and glass.

bdyman

can i haz bondo?
Sep 9, 2008
cicero
Real Name
chris
rail dust, fuel depsoits from airplanes, brake dust, all kind of stuff, your car is white so you see every little spec on the paint

its not going to rust through its ontop of the clear, a detailer clay bar will take it right off, in bad cases i had to use laquer thinner then the clay bar, then if it doesnt remove then buff it off

its not going to hurt if left alone until spring time, i dont wash my car until spring time, i wash it, i use a medium cut clay bar, paint sealant, then wax and im all good

so no worries dude your fine

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info