HELPPPP, Explorer problems!!!

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Long and short of it, Lower intake mani started leaking coolant into my oil, Caught it in time, tore it all down, replaced everything, but accidently unbolted my CPS on the back of the motor, bolted it back down immediatly but didn't realize this affects my timing :(...

Now the truck starts cold, first try EVERY try, runs like a TOP, idles a SPEC high, as soon as I turn the truck off, may it be 30 seconds, or 30 min, it WILL not start up again worth shit, let it sit for an hour or 2, fires right back up.

CEL right now, haven't scanned it as I already had one from the intake leak.

This sound like I plugged something into the wrong spot or a timing issue?

1997 Ford Explorer sport, 5 spd, 4.0 OHV *Thankfully to those who messaged me about my motor being crap, I do NOT have the OHC motor with the plastic chain guides that disintegrate, my truck/style is the LAST year of OHV, 54% were OHV, 46 were OHC, mine IS OHV!!! Looks nearly identical.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
unbolting the CPS shouldnt have affected anything as long as you didnt turn the engine over...
check codes, maybe you didnt plug something in :dunno:

the OHV and SOHC do look similar, but the higher mileage SOHCs usually have a timing chain through the valve cover :ford:

i did not turn the engine over with it unbolted.

Everythings plugged in for sure, I'm thinking maybe I plugged something into the wrong spot? but that'd be a bizzare side effect?

Fortunatly the 4.0 OHV's are known for lasting 200K+ problem free as far as major stuff goes.

My car used to do this, try holding the throttle open just a little. the plate was sticking shut and flooding it. It would start cold because the choke kept the throttle plate open a little.

Pedal to the floor, tapping it, etc, no difference in its behavior :(

*Probably* just a bad CPS. My old 3.0 OHV Taurus had this problem, would run and start fine, then come back 10 seconds or 20 minutes later and wouldnt start. Let it sit and WALA.

I REALLY would be surprised if it just magically went bad from me unbolting it, truck worked perfect before the manifold gasket repair aside from it eating coolant :hs:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
i would check why the SES light is on first. that will probably point you in the right direction.

only reason why I haven't checked it yet is because I know it needs to be reset from the lean codes it was throwing earlier from the leaking manifold.

I'm sure its some stupid thing like a sensor plugged into the wrong spot *like IAT instead of temp sender... I'm sure that'd be interesting* and the SES would show that I'd imagine :(

Mainly curious if these symptoms sounded like timing or not... Sounds like it is something else sensor related, which is good news more or less.

Also don't have a way to check codes, gotta drive to AZ, and I'm sure she won't start when I get there, Lol.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
IDT it would be a timing issue... my blazer used to do this every so often... the converter would stick occasionally and it would kill the truck... and when i'd go to start it again it'd die and sputter and only like 1/4 of the time actully start up right away... i'd have to let it sit for 20 minutes or so but then it would start right up... I always just attributed it to being old (222,000 miles)

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I lied, I let it get through a full warm cycle, and now it DOESN'T start up again..........

it had a CEL for CPS, which has been replaced now :(, maybe the plugs are fouled also from seafoaming it, and all the crap that was in the intake mani from when we cleaned it and the fuel tank having shit gas *possibly even 2 stroke mixed in it? Rofl*

I guess I'll clear the codes and scan it again tomorrow or something, I'm at a bit of a loss here now guys, replacing the thing ewas a bitch, and its like 2 degree's outside.

*edit*

After much reading, apparently the angle of the CPS is ABSOLUTLY critical to the correct operation of this engine and it starting, Lol.

Needs to be aligned just right to fire every time :(, these trucks have a CAM sensor, and a CPS sensor, CPS is for the injector timing, hence the no start...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info