Strange oil leak from my jeep.

Ok so my jeep leaks oil like a faucet.
-I put a new rear main seal and oil pan gasket in it. and it still leaked
-took it apart agiain. checked it. had my dad check it. looked fine wasn't torn.
-heard a strange noise. thought i spun the main bearing so i took it apart again. transmission inspection cover was just clickin on flexplate
-Put it together again and it leaked a lot. so i drove it cuz i was kinda pissed. and the leak stopped completely. so i took it out in a corn field for some donuts. and now it's leaking like crazy again?

You guys got any ideas?

4.0 I6?

valve cover loves to piss outta the back as well....

have you washed/brake cleaned everything to find the actual leak point or are ya'll just tossing parts at it?

4.2 I6
but the only parts i have put on are the rear main seal and oil pan gasket.
the oil seems to be coming from inside the inspection cover on the transmission. but it may be dripping down. i'll check the valve cover gasket see if it's leaking from up there.
but this is a lot of oil i'm talking like 4 quarts every 100 miles

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
lol nvrmnd i can read sigs lol

the oem valvecover gasket is cork and they leak bad once they harden

i recal there was an alum valvecover that replaced the earlier stamped steel units

there's a metal carrier silicone gasket available nowadays though i dont use em...for me i just clean it all up nice and go to town with rtv

i've worked on plenty where someone replaces the gasket and slaps on the VC and the back of the gasket gets pushed out/in since they didnt move the harness out of the way enough to let you set the cover down straight.

the other thing to note is that when replacing the rear main seal you need to have it offset from the rear cap sealing surface and put a tiny dab of rtv on the ends of the lower gasket half (also offset to match the unit in the block ie one side sticks above the cap surface 1/8th of an inch, other end lower 1/8th)

also keep in mind that there are oil galley plugs in the back of the block

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Is it possible that he gave me the front Crankshaft seal instead of the Rear Main seal??
are they similar enough that i could put the front one in the back slot?
nope, the front crank seal is one piece and installs in the timing cover behind the harmonic dampner
the rear main seal goes 360* around the back of the crankshaft, to replace it you have to remove the oil pan and remove the rear main cap, you then have to push the upper half of the rear main seal out of the block and slide the new unit in (only other option to get the upper half out is to loosen all the main bearing caps to let the crank hang down a little or pull the crank completly out.

sounds like you got a multi piece oil pan gasket, spend a few bucks more and get a one piece slicone gasket (felpro/etc) do not use the cork/rubber gaskets

ok ur the second person to say something about offset but i'm confused as to what that means...
r u saying to not put it in all the way? and if it is. i can't offset the bottom because it has two ruber flaps that go out at 90's on both sides.

i'm refering to the rear main seal (ie crankshaft seal) you seem to be refering to the rear rubber oil pan gasket, correct you cant offset the oil pan gasket.

but this is a lot of oil i'm talking like 4 quarts every 100 miles
i shoulda noticed this earlier
the rear main seal/oil pan gasket wont fix this...what your describing is a pressurized oil leak, more than likely the orings on the oil filter adaptor are shot (crack straight through) and since that oil is at 10-60psi your literally pumping oil out of the engine anytime it's running.

this leak is commonly mistaken for an oil pan gasket since it drains down the block ~1-3 inches to the oil pan rail where it flows to the rear of the pan (engine is tilted rearward)

brake clean the area around your oil filter adaptor especially below it (alum piece bolted to the block with (iirc a 10mm) internal hex bolt)

then throw talcum/baby powder over everything and while your under there have someone start it up....i bet youll find the trail comes from it.

hope that helps ya, regards, james

i replaced both the rear main seal. and the oil pan gasket. i got the one piece rubber pan gasket.
where i notice the oil leaking out is out of the inspection cover on the transmission.
thats where it looks like its coming from. it doesn't look like its coming off the oil pan at all.
i just took off the rear cap. and pushed the old one out. i didn't drop the whole thing down.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
how bad of a groove on the back of the crank? (where the lip rides)

still 4qts in a 100 miles is well beyond what i've seen out of the rear main seal on some horrible one's i've done. back of the head and VC are dry?

if youve cleaned everything off and your sure it's comming from the back of the block inside the bellhousing my guess is you need to pull the motor and fix the oil galley plug that is somehow pissing oil like an amsoil dealer

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• C
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list