Plans changed on the DD/beater search

Shibby50

TCG Elite Member
Mar 30, 2008
Braidwood, IL
My parents have now decided it best that my brother and I put our money together and buy a car instead of us both buying 2k beaters. I wasn't for it at first, but then they swayed me into it with the bribe of it becomming my brothers car come summer and they re-emburst me what I put into it. I agreed since we can share for the winter and he's 16 and only drives to school and back. Now we have a little over 4k to spend on a car. Here'in lies the problem. It still has to get good mpg and cant have over 140k on it, but he wants something sporty since he's a junior in HS and who didn't want a cool car for their first right?
So we're looking at eclipse/tsi's, integras, preludes and even 3000gt/stealths.

We're going test driving a few of each all day tomorrow and will more than likely buy something this week because we need something soon.

I already learned the bad's about integra's.
Advice on reliability/mpg, good's and bads of the car's I listed?
Keep in mind we are an automotive family and we dont mind throwing some money here and there at some little things that go wrong with cars.

Shibby50

TCG Elite Member
Mar 30, 2008
Braidwood, IL
the insurance on 3000GT's/Stealths is INSANE, STEER CLEAR AND WIDE

You can get a 4th gen Lude for 4g's, Or a 1998+ Civic EX *Holds value well, and are typically fully loaded* Either I'd highly recommend.

Are you saying that for he and I? One of my parents will most likely be insured on the car we buy. We are insured on the truck and camry.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Are you saying that for he and I? One of my parents will most likely be insured on the car we buy. We are insured on the truck and camry.

Doesn't matter, if those cars are ON the policy, and you are ON the policy, it will still be CRAZY high, they are in the same bracket as a Corvette. Also, if/when your brother totals it, if he is driving, it will skyrocket your families rates.

Not that I have anything against ludes. I really like them, just hard to find a good manual one with no cancer and under 140k.

VERRRRY few 4th gens have rust, even in the midwest.

9008-1998-Honda-Prelude.jpg

Thats a 4th gen, which CAN be had for 3-4 grand with sub 140K easily, and the auto is 'autostick', tap shift, kinda fun.

*edit*

As mentioned below, GTP is a good idea too come to think of it.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
the 3000gt insurance is not at all ridiculous, their reliability however is shit.
i dont know why you would want a honda, they're slow as fuck and will rot away before your eyes. i would go with a tsi. turbo, manual, and awd = awesome. yes, it's a DSM so you might run into a few issues here and there, but it's all part of the DSM experience.

or get a gtp ;)

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
the 3000gt insurance is not at all ridiculous, their reliability however is shit.
i dont know why you would want a honda, they're slow as fuck and will rot away before your eyes. i would go with a tsi. turbo, manual, and awd = awesome. yes, it's a DSM so you might run into a few issues here and there, but it's all part of the DSM experience.

or get a gtp ;)

For a 16 year old, the insurance is crazy...

And yes, their reliability does suck.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
For a 16 year old, the insurance is crazy...

that's why you dont put the 16 year old as the primary driver, genius.
it will be impossible to find a 3000gt that isnt beat to shit for under 4k anyway.

go tsi, they are very easy to work on and alot of fun to drive with endless mod potential. i've wanted one for awhile now, but just havent had the funds around to do it.

Shibby50

TCG Elite Member
Mar 30, 2008
Braidwood, IL
It's looking like we'll be narrowing it down between a dsm and lude, pending on what we can find in good shape. Aftermarket parts aren't something to scare us away either. That's what the test drive is for.

And I agree that working on the car because of a few problems will be a learning experience for him that he does need.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
2.5 RS FTW. I want one of those myself. Gonna be hard to find, but like Joel linked to, check the Subie forums.
Yea if you're willing to travel a bit you can find nice cars for good prices. The 2.5rs is a stout setup. I know someone who did only suspension mods and small engine stuff and does track days all the time. I wanna say he's got like 10k miles on a track with that car with no problems.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info