Reprogram TPMS

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
I got a new TPMS put in my tire. It keeps reading 00 for tire pressure. Anyone with a tech tool to do this? Dealer wants to charge $60 and 3 hours to do this. I've had a porter relearn tire position before for free and only took a walk around my car. I'm pretty sure it's just as simple and they use the same tool. Or if you know a shop that can do for it cheaper and a lot less time that's cool too.

Oh, and I guess if anyone knows a good shop to install a GMPP catback that's be cool too. Dealer said 2 days. :rollpicard: They really like to take their time fixing shit...

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
I cat back is a few bolts and some rubber hangers, do it in a drive way.....I'd bet there is a sequence to get it to reset

from Colbaltss.net:

MUAHAHAHA, Secret tire reset procedure:

Alternate Keyless Entry Transmitter or DIC Learn Enable Method
Ignition ON, initiate the TPM Learn Mode using one of the following procedures:
• On vehicles equipped with keyless entry, simultaneously press the keyless entry transmitters lock and unlock buttons until a double horn chirp sounds indicating the Learn Mode has been enabled. The left front turn signal will also be illuminated.

• On vehicles not equipped with keyless entry, press and release the driver information center (DIC) INFO button until the TIRE LEARN message appears on the DIC display. Press and hold the SET/RESET button until a double horn chirp sounds indicating the Learn Mode has been enabled. The left front turn signal will also be illuminated.

Starting with the left front tire, learn the tire pressure using one of the following methods:
• Hold the antenna of the J-46079 aimed upward against the tire sidewall close to the wheel rim at the valve stem location. Press and release the activate button and wait for a horn chirp. Once the horn chirp has sounded, the sensor information is learned and the turn signal in the next location to be learned will illuminate.

Caution: Over inflating tires may cause personal injury or damage to the tires and wheels. When increasing tire pressure do not exceed the maximum inflation pressure as noted on the tire sidewall.

• Increase/decrease the tire pressure for 8-10 seconds then wait for a horn chirp. The horn chirp may occur before or up to 30 seconds after the 8-10 second pressure increase/decrease time period has been reached. Once the horn chirp has sounded, the sensor information is learned and the turn signal in the next location to be learned will illuminate.

After the horn chirp has sounded and the right front turn signal is illuminated, repeat step 2 for the remaining 3 sensors in the following order:
3.1. Right front

3.2. Right rear

3.3. Left rear

When the left rear sensor has been learned and a double horn chirp has sounded, the learn process is complete and the RCDLR exits the learn mode.
Ignition OFF, adjust all tires to the recommended pressures. Refer to Vehicle Certification, Tire Placard, Anti-Theft, and Service Parts ID Label.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
That's to relearn the location of the tire on my car. I think they replaced the TPMS in my tire. It keeps reading 00 for tire pressure, just in the one tire. Sorry, I guess I didn't explain it correctly. I'm pretty sure they use the same tool to program the new TPMS as the the porter used to reset tire positions. Those instructions are a lot better than the ones in the manual though.

I cat back is a few bolts and some rubber hangers, do it in a drive way.....

I know, but I always seem to make things a lot harder than they really are when I do stuff myself. Shouldn't take more than an hour, which is why I laughed at the quote of two days.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
They didn't charge me for it if they did. They just told me that the tire was damaged, they couldn't fix it, and I needed to get the TPMS reprogrammed by the dealer.. I just assuming since I wouldn't know why it would stop working, unless it was damaged when I hit the curb.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
Maybe, but for now I'm going to assume that they replaced it and it just needs to be programed. If it can't be programmed, then there might be a problem. I've dealt with them a few times in the past and they seem pretty cool so I'm not going to start shouting foul play yet.

Even if they did break it and they don't want to replace it, couldn't they just say it broke along with my tire? I just had all my snows mounted, I don't know which was where before they took off the summers.

I'll just worry about one problem at a time.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
That procedure posted will work. JUST MAKE SURE to hold a magnet (like an old harddrive magnet) at the new sensor for some time to make sure it did indeed "turn on". Then get into the learn procedure and do the tire pressure dealie. The one that was replaced will take the longest time since the car hasnt mated with it yet.

Ive been able to do it at work, and we dont have any tools, well, I take that back, we have the one that turns on the sensor, or wakes it up, but a magnet could just as easily do that, its just easier for me to know if its awake or not.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
after the sensor is "woken up" it should relearn no problem... that is if they put one in... what kind of sensor do you have in regards to the valve stem? is it black rubber and kind of imitates just a regular stem? or is it metal? if it's black rubber what they gave you was probably a TPMS recharge kit.... with those types of sensors you can actally unscrew the sensor from the stem and replace the stem. My guess is that they used the recharge kit, hence why you have the packaging.... maybe while dismounting the tire they broke it and just hoped the recharge kit would fix it.... that's my .02 but, should be a good starting point.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
So I just hold a magnet to it for a while. Then do the car horn thing to relearn the positions and reset that tire? Shouldn't be too hard then.

If a recharge kit is just a rubber stem, then it doesn't look like I have that. According to the diagram in the box they gave me, It's a metal nut and it looks like the same one as the rest of my sensors. Don't see any rubber parts in the diagram or near the value stems on my tires.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info