What type of "damage" does a car take..

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
by just sitting outside in the snow for 3 months?

Snow is here, i need to put the Taurus in the garage (rust free and wanna keep it that way) also wanna slowly pull the engine and replace the rear main, and put in a new clutch.

With that being said, the Camry will definitely be outside all winter.... The GTP has low tread on the tires so i will not be driving it once it starts snowing.

We all know what salt does to cars, now if i keep the GTP parked all winter next to my garage, so no salt touches it, but piles and piles of snow are on it.. how bad is that really? I wanna know what im getting myself into.

Runtz52

Runs like a turtle with downs syndrome
Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
snow doesnt do much without salt, my dad bought a 1950 chevy truck from nebraska that spent most of its life on the farm without salt and all it had was very minor surface rust on the frame, i know its different from ur gp but this was back in the day when everything was solid steel and with no undercoating, hell the wood in the bed is barely rotted. the gtp will be fine with just snow as long as it has no rust already, but like bmx said check ur undercoating and if uts fine i think the gtp will do just fine.

heres a pic of it

IMG_1872.jpg

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
your rotors will need to be cut in the spring, since the tires need replacing soon you shouldnt worry about it sitting on em and them rotting in the sun. store the battery in your garage once it's fully charged or leave it in and disconnect it to prevent a keep alive draw from killing it/and subsequent freezing
if the oil is old ya might wanna change it to prevent any acids from sitting in there

stabil the tank (fill er up though with newer plastic tanks thats not too neccesary but moisture condesation isnt good anyways) and if your not gonna start it regularly and drive it around i'd recomend pulling the inlet and oil fog the motor (rev it up, shut key off at high rpms and spray fogging oil till motor comes to a stop....replace the plugs in the spring

make sure to shovel snow away from the car, you shouldnt leave it drifted in as it holds moisture under the car, i dont like car covers for the same reason and most dont completly seal out water

Runtz52

Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
nice truck there....mine waas also a farm/ranch truck though in colorado most of the rust is on the bed floor where sand/straw sat forever lol

yea, thats the reference for the 51 were restorin, this one has a lil 71k on the odo, 216 straight six, three on the tree, its a neat old truck, what year was urs

Runtz52

Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
ah the stovebolt six? it's a youngin compared to yours lol '68

that would be the one, they just dont make them like they used back then.

heres the 51 weve been workin on since '99, all the body work and paint was done in the basement garage, and i personally think its better than a lot of shop painted cars ive seen

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
There are dry packs you can buy, or just throw some baking soda in a box and leave it in there. I went to look at an old GTO for a project car -- obviously not sealed as well as new cars -- that sat outside untouched for a long time. The moisture inside rusted every bolt head and created a musty smell that came out the air vents even after the car was aired out.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I'd also do some rodent prevention techniques like moth balls. I had a family of mice in the T/A when I bought it after it came out of storage last year. Still finding rat shit in the back from last winter.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info