For a friend

Max

I'm Just Here For The Gasoline...
May 24, 2007
The Wastelands
Like a 96 Toyota Camery

He was backing out of a parking space, moved a few inches and wheel made horrible noise.

Said there were ball bearings all over the ground under front tire.

Would this be the CV Joint (what he thinks) or wheel bearing? Or something else? I haven't done much with wheels besides brakes so I have no clue on this.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
BALL bearings?CV joints are usually needle bearings, as are wheel bearings....

While it is possible the Wheel bearing would have a ball bearing (I've never seen) But I've never opened up a Sealed bearing, I know serviceable bearings are needle....

And CV joints are NEITHER Needle or ball bearings, they are Joints not bearings ... 95% of CV joints have a ball in socket at the tire end and a trunnion joint at the other end (there are needle bearings in the trunnion.... but You'd have to remove move the wheel and front suspension very visibly out of whack to get the tripod thing out far enough to drop those) Some CV's run a different setup, but they are all joints

~Rant

I cant honestly say where ball bearings would come from....It may have been on the ground already and his car coincidentally failed at that spot

Max

I'm Just Here For The Gasoline...
May 24, 2007
The Wastelands
Yah, I thought CV Joints were joints, hence the name....and why I thought it might be wheel bearings

Yah blue, I was kinda thinking the same thing. I have yet to actually look at the car, gonna try to do that tonight. He did say he couldn't put it in park, it stayed stuck in reverse.

May 24, 2007
i do a lot of bearings at work and have seen wheel bearings with ball bearings more than needle believe it or not. but this doesnt seem right if the wheel bearing went out the wheel would be cambered in or out to such an extreme it would be very noticable. im gonna go with mike k on this one and say maybe a strut mount bearing...

Theautoguy

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2007
Machesney Park, IL
Many CV Joints do have steel balls in them; they are about the size marbles. If they came out, the car will probably not move far if at all and he will need a new joint.

CV%20joint.jpg

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Many CV Joints do have steel balls in them; they are about the size marbles. If they came out, the car will probably not move far if at all and he will need a new joint.

CV%20joint.jpg

That pic looks like me failing :rollpicard:..... And is it the sealed bearings that are ball bearings? I've always wondered, cause I know the serviceable ones are needle bearings, I've not had as much experience with the sealed bearings on modern cars

Tuner World

The tech kid!!
Mar 8, 2009
Hoffman Estates

Yep, my Honda has that (I know from when the axle popped on me :/)

I was actually also thinking the strut mount bearings, my friend was doing struts on his car and all of them went everywhere cause it was bad.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info