Longest-lasting car battery?

KnightFan26917

Old Cars, Strong Hearts
Apr 28, 2009
Elgin IL
The last Sunday of August (August 30, 2009), I had to buy a new battery for my 1981 Monte Carlo SC. I've owned this car since December 1999 (when I bought it from my parents) and have not previously replaced the battery during my time as owner. The old battery was a GM/AC Delco battery.

So ... I asked Dad to look through his records to find out when that battery was installed. He looked and found that it was bought and installed February 4, 1997. The '81 MC SC had 167,000 miles at that time. When I replaced that battery, the car had 192,000 miles.

Thus ... that GM/AC Delco battery lasted over 12.5 years ... and 25,000 miles.

What is the longest a battery has lasted in your car(s)?

Cort | 36swm.IL | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...radio show, Dec 09
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Nothing lasts forever" ... Guns N Roses ... 'November Rain'

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
arizona heat is a battery killer. you're lucky if you can get one to last 3 years out here under normal duty. i THINK i never replaced the one in my wrx tho, and i had that car for over 4 years, and who knows how long the battery was in there before i bought the car. so, i think i had a freak there.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
arizona heat is a battery killer. you're lucky if you can get one to last 3 years out here under normal duty. i THINK i never replaced the one in my wrx tho, and i had that car for over 4 years, and who knows how long the battery was in there before i bought the car. so, i think i had a freak there.

batteries last a lot longer in the heat all year round, rather than the COLDDDD of a chicago winter ;)

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
Ive always replaced them every few years just as a precaution. Id rather spend $40 on cheaper battery every few years than try and milk it till its absolutely dead.

:werd:
keeping a battery in for 6+ years makes the alternator work harder to keep it charged up. i've always viewed batteries as wearable items. replace them before you get stuck in a parking lot during a blizzard. :dunno:

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
:werd:
keeping a battery in for 6+ years makes the alternator work harder to keep it charged up. i've always viewed batteries as wearable items. replace them before you get stuck in a parking lot during a blizzard. :dunno:

agreed, i do not push batteries, just change them every 4 years.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info