Ford brings '34 Ford Coupe w/ Ecoboost V6 to SEMA

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
'34 Ford EcoBoost hot rod project
Detroit Street Rods' latest build is a 1934 Ford and is a joint venture with Ford Motor Company and Experi-metal. In this '34 application, the EcoBoost engine is configured for rear-wheel drive and is coupled with a Tremec five-speed manual transmission.

"The decision to use the EcoBoost engine for our powertrain on this project was an easy one in that it gave us the opportunity to combine the iconic '34 Ford sculpted body lines with the advanced technology of the EcoBoost powerplant," stated Robert Smith, president of Detroit Street Rods. "The result is the perfect hot rod marriage of advanced technology for power and legendary automobile design."

While the stock Honeywell turbochargers that drive the EcoBoost engine are used, they were repackaged to fit the engine bay of this all-steel replica body. The engine configuration and turbocharger packaging was dynamometer tested by Ford Powertrain for proper calibration of the engine electronic control module (ECM). In addition to the all-stock engine, other components including the fuel pump, ECM, fuel pump module, fuel pump processor and drive-by-wire throttle were utilized in their original production configuration.

The body is from Steve's Auto Restoration and is the recently released 1934 Ford 3-Window coupe. The complete body and fenders are from brand-new tooling, and are designed, stamped and manufactured by Experi-metal in Sterling Heights, Mich. This "replica" '34 features all-steel construction, full fenders, running boards, electronic power windows, air conditioning and custom bumpers.

The engine was repackaged and fitted with an engine plate adapter to mate with an aluminum flywheel, performance clutch and a Tremec TKO five-speed transmission. The turbochargers were repositioned to the front of the cylinder heads and custom aluminum tubing was used to route the air from the custom air cleaner through the air-to-air intercooler. The exhaust gases are routed from the cylinder heads through coated headers, through the stock wastegates, and pass through large custom exhaust cones located outside the engine bay and just above the front fenders.

Pics from AutoBlog:
ecoboosthotrodlive_01.jpg

ecoboosthotrodlive_02.jpg

ecoboosthotrodlive_05.jpg

ecoboosthotrodlive_06.jpg

ecoboosthotrodlive_09.jpg

ecoboosthotrodlive_11.jpg

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Ford needs to stop fooling around with this FWD-based junk and put the Ecoboost into something worthwhile. It's definitely coming to the F-150, but here's to hoping the rumors saying it's not coming to the Mustang are false.:x:

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Ford needs to stop fooling around with this FWD-based junk and put the Ecoboost into something worthwhile. It's definitely coming to the F-150, but here's to hoping the rumors saying it's not coming to the Mustang are false.:x:

I firmly believe EcoBoost will be in the Mustang very soon. There are rumors saying yes and no. If you look at Ford's product plans, they plan on bastardizing Ecoboost in their future products.

"The EcoBoost engine lineup is a critical part of Ford's future product plans. It says that, by 2013, more than 90 percent of its North American lineup will be available with EcoBoost technology and nearly 80 percent of its global nameplates will have an EcoBoost option"

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Ford's plan has always been to have Ecoboost across its lineup in small displacement four-cylinder and six-cylinders.

They've got this amazing performance engine but have yet to put it in a proper performance car.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Ford is going to suprise a lot of folks. From what I've read, the Ecoboost engine's power is limited due to transmission (auto) constraints.

Out of the big 3 it's clear that Ford is way ahead of GM and Chrysler in R&D. Next year Ford will introduce two new V8s; A 5.0L and 6.2L.

Now I'm not attacking ford, because I do like the new Lincoln cars, and the newer fusion... But a V6 that gets less HP and the same Fuel economy as a V8 isn't super advanced to me, the G8 gets = gas mileage to the new SHO, and it is with a 6.2L push-rod V8.......

hopefully they will make it more efficient later and it will be better.....

Now the DI 2.0 liter turbo motor making 260hp and very efficent that GM has had for years is better than any ECOboost motor out at this point......

A twin turbo V6 mustang would be pretty sweet though

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I'm sure the Ecoboost V6 is capable of MUCH more power than the 355. Has anyone actually strapped it to a dyno yet? Something tells me its making a little more than the 355 if it's pushing the Flex sub-15.

As for the GM DI 2.0 turbo, GM had their shot, put it in a few cars, didn't say much about it (aside from the initial Ecotec debut). What's the status of that motor now? I haven't heard of any long term plans for it. They axed the Solstice and the Sky, the Cobalt is going bye-bye when ever the Cruze wants to get here. If it's that great of a motor, why isn't GM doing more with it?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Now I'm not attacking ford, because I do like the new Lincoln cars, and the newer fusion... But a V6 that gets less HP and the same Fuel economy as a V8 isn't super advanced to me, the G8 gets = gas mileage to the new SHO, and it is with a 6.2L push-rod V8.......

It's not that simple, unfortunately. Don't forget the SHO is AWD, which hurts MPG, and it does actually get marginally better mileage than the G8: 17/25 mpg for the SHO compared to 15/24 for the G8 GT.

The big thing about the Ecoboost is that it gets the SAME mileage as the lesser Taurus V6 w/ AWD but with 100 more horsepower. That's impressive in my opinion where you can get an additional 100 horsepower and no sacrifice in fuel economy.

My big peeve with the SHO is that the G8 is(was) so much less expensive and was a better performer. You can't beat the G8's RWD balance for the price.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info