Didnt want to take Dasfinc's FS thread off topic

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Why in gods green earth do SHO owners swap or fix stock cams? That just boggles my brain.

In one corner, you have V6 SHO owners dropping in the bigger blocks, but using the smaller blocks cams cause they are bigger. Does Comp or anyone not make different cam grinds for you? Does no one want to experiment with that?

In the other corner, you have the V8 SHO guys removing and welding their stock cams cause the break. Once again, does Comp or anyone else not make aftermarket cams for you??

You guys are doing the grunt work already. Why not go the extra couple feet and really add something to the car worth adding?

Thats like me saying my L32 cam sucks. Im gonna go with a L26 cam and timing set.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Don't the cam gears break off that's why they get welded?

Bingo.

1989-1995 3.0 Manual SHO cams are more aggresive and aimed for HP.

The 93-95 3.2 Auto cams are aimed for torque/eco because of the slush box IIRC.

This is why you want the more aggresive cams of the 3.0 and the extra displacement of the Automatic block.

Also, the only cams that are available for V-6 SHO's are $650+, quad cam motor :(.

I am not aware of what is out there for the V-8 SHO as far as aftermarket cams go, but we get them welded to correct a ford defect that is still in a class action lawsuit to this day, honestly, I don't think any company MAKES cams for the V-8 aside from OEM style ones, and custom grinds aren't especially cheap for 4 cams.

machausta

Slow VW driver
Sep 18, 2009
Eastern Tennessee
We have heard time and time again. No need to explain again why. The only why I wanted to hear is why not add an aftermarket cam(s).

$650 for 4 cams. Damn. We get ripped off in the 3800 world. $300 for one.

per this conversation on v8sho.com, "...based on simulation studies the factory cam is very radical for a street motor. It is already what old timers call 3/4 race cam. A more radical camshaft would require headers, a lighter car, deeper final drive ratio and a manual transmission so the engine would always stay on the pipe. Crane Cams confirmed that recent Ford performance cams leave little (as in none) room for improvement. Ford has them developed to the nth degree. "

So, no new cams for SHO owners...just failures.

machausta

Slow VW driver
Sep 18, 2009
Eastern Tennessee
That's kinda cool. I feel like ligtweight valvetrain parts would be cool though. Rev the piss out of it for all that road racing and auto-x ing. Assuming the bottom end can handle it.

I've personally witnessed one holding 10lbs of boost on a stock bottom end, and its not dead after a few years of abuse, so I'd say it'll hold up.

Z

Zenriddles

I'm running 14 psi with an Eaton M90 on a V8 SHO. Longblock is completely stock. I've been running this way for over 2 years and 20,000 miles now. Bottom end is just about bulletproof - 1 piece 21 bolt main girdle holding up the crank.

Stock V8 SHO's easily spin 8 grand all day long, the trannies don't like it too much, however.

Oh yeah - Hi guys, I finally joined.:hsughc:

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The reason people fix the cams on the V8's instead of replacing them is because there's no replacement made. For lack of a better term, the V8 SHO's suck. The drive train pretty much surmises the travesty... Who puts a 3.4L 235hp V8 in performance car and expects people to buy that?

Pretty much the only one ups the Gen III's had over the V6 models were their steering racks, auto adjusting struts and better fit and finish. Other than that it's a pretty dismal drive all around.

I've driven in Eric's V8 with the supercharger. The roots blower can't keep the old pushrod V6 it original came off of pressurized in the higher rpms and it sure can't keep the DOHC fed. Eric's car is about what you'd expect from that setup... Lot's of torque down low and then it chokes up top. I would bet the car would dyno no more than 20hp higher than a regular V8 SHO.

That's not to dog Eric either. It's really cool that he did that... It's just that your 1st Gen M90 isn't at home on a 6500rpm redline DOHC V8. A centrifigual or a turbo... well then you'd be talking! Somebody just needs to get the guy a turbo. He has a bad habit of making things work... Anyone got a 60-1 hanging around? :D

Oh, and to answer Fish's original question... It all depends on where you want the power. Back in 02 - 03 the V6 cars were generally considered maxed out right out of the box. You could add a Y pipe (downpipe) to pick up 5 - 10hp but pretty much anything else just moved the power band up. It's funny because my buddy has the fastest stock V6 SHO at 14.5@ something mph and then there are guys with heavily modified cars pulling low 15s. The cams and headers were coming out just around that time and our first set of cams popped an additional 20whp onto our test car at the time, which was considered huge. The sacrifice that was made was a loss in low end torque, so when all was said and done you had a car that was slow off the line but absolutely ripped on the highway. Since most SHO owners set their cars up for road racing rather than 1/4 mile racing like the GTP guys, the cams actually have a big benefit. While we only picked up 20whp peak there were some places in the curve where we were 36hp (IIRC) over the stock cams and that's huge. Noe only that but torque stayed on much harder, much longer.

You might have two 14.5 second SHOs that are equally as fast in the quarter mile but the cammed, headered car is going to be so much more fun to drive IMO and if the two raced from a roll, the stock car wouldn't stand a chance.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info