LIM Failure

Runtz52

Runs like a turtle with downs syndrome
Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
how common is it for the LIM to go bad in 1990 Chevy Lumina 3.1L? I was swapping out my motor mounts the other day and realized that my coolant reserve tank only had a smidge of coolant in it, i figured no big deal cuz i only drove it for about 15 min before doing this, well i drove home and checked it and there was none in there, so i added half a gallon and let it sit over night. Go to school the next day and drive around in mixed traffic highway/city so i figure theres gotta be something in the tank, check it when i get home and bone dry :ugh:, so what do i look for for this LIM failure and how hard is it to change?
TIA

Runtz52

Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
hrmmm 1990 it should have the flat UIM with 3.1 mpfi on it right? should be the older composite LIM gaskets they arent infallible as i've replaced them before for coolant leaks but they sure as hell were better than the plastic carriers, not too difficult of a job

yes it has the flat top mpfi, it just pissed me off cuz i just $160 on parts to fix some issues up front new cv axle, tie rod ends and motor mounts, and then i noticed this lil issue

I would be careful, if you can't see it leaking onto the ground, then it's probably going into the oil.... :noes:

Didn't take me too long to change my 96's.

well its got quite the oil leak but i havent noticed any creamy like substance on the dip stick, i can see fluid build up on either side of the block and see trails running from where the LIM meets the heads.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
yes it has the flat top mpfi, it just pissed me off cuz i just $160 on parts to fix some issues up front new cv axle, tie rod ends and motor mounts, and then i noticed this lil issue

well its got quite the oil leak but i havent noticed any creamy like substance on the dip stick, i can see fluid build up on either side of the block and see trails running from where the LIM meets the heads.

the good news is when ya pull the UIM off ya can take a closer look and at least pull the oil pump drive out and put a new oring on it to get rid of that oil leak (9 times in 10 it's leaking from the OPD)

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
The 60* V-6 engines with aluminum heads (like your 3.1L) can develop LIM gasket leaks.
Just make sure when you replace them you use the GM or Fel-Pro sets. Some of the lesser known gaskets are more of a generic fit and can develop leaks more easily.

The task of doing it isn't too bad. Normally can be completed in about 2-3 hours. The only real bad part is the rocker arms need to be loosened to get the pushrod out in order to install the LIM gaskets. DO NOT CUT THEM to avoid the loosening of the rockers. This will also cause leaks.

Runtz52

Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
^^^ thanks for ur input

anybody willing to help with this i am mechanically inclined i would just like somones help that has done this sort of thing before, i would like to get it done before winter, my work schedule is flexible so i can work around u, i am willing to pay. would also like a list of everything i will/may need

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info