68 with a 5 spd?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
well i want my truck to be THEE badass redneck gearhead truck with onboard compressed air, generator/welder etc.

what sucks is the mpg even with the 2bbl that 390 sucks gas. i get 10-12mpg emptyor full with or without tailwind lol)

well i have a chance at a zf 5 spd 460 trans (from 90 f450 same as my boss' truck i've been overhauling) for 150$ complete with 460 flywheel to the driveshaft (including driveshaft mounted parking brake)
the work truck gets 15mpg and it hauls about 3k lbs of tools and steel etc all the time....

i can have the trans sit till i find a motor (yeah like ya didnt see that comming)

having a taller granny and an OD would be sweet lol esp when i toss the 3.54 D60 under it and ditch the 19 spline 3.73 unit.

should i go for it and toss a 460 efi in this pig?

meh....i never finish anythin

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
id do it, thats y im plannin on puttin a 5 spd in the pacer, cuz my cammed 360 with the 4bbl doesnt get the worst mileage but its got room for improvement
i know tossing a carb'd 460 in it would be easiest (no efi pump issues/plumbing/etc) but that would negate potential gains from the OD at worst though i wouldnt see a mpg gain, best case i get 13 lol.

460 engine mounts arent a problem, i'd hate to loose the simpicity of a 14 wire electrical system, but wiring up power and ground for the pcm isnt hard, exhaust is easy- all off the shelf parts.
the big bitches i see are the efi fuel system, throttle cable (it would be nice to get rid of the funky ford trapeze linkage) and converting from mechanical to hydraulic clutch....but hell at least the 1 1/2 ton zf trans' has the external hydraulic slave cylinder.

about the biggest benifit is the ease of finding a 460 york style ac compressor bracket vs one for an FE

i might as well get it....it's my only shot at an OD gear and if i never toss it in bertha i can probably sell just the trans for 600$

so that would make 9 engines and 6 transmissions in my garage lol

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
You call yourself a gearhead and you can't fab up a bracket for the York? :s00ls:

EFI on a originally carb'd motor is a fun mod. I did that to my K5, first with the 454, then with a 350.

Mileage tho? REALLY? The manual trans might get you a bit, but not sure how much you'll really pick up hauling that much weight around.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
doooooo it sally
carefull or i'll spill your beans :squint:

Do it. I'd bet with a more modern cam grind and 4bbl you'd get better mpg. Did the trick on the 64 cat.
i hear ya, i have no way to get the zf to bolt to the 390 nor is it's bellhousing removable so i can rig the np435 housing to it...so the 460 is the only option... it would be nice to toss a cam in a carb/efi 460 but it's not really a race truck....it's a tow rig

You call yourself a gearhead and you can't fab up a bracket for the York? :s00ls:

EFI on a originally carb'd motor is a fun mod. I did that to my K5, first with the 454, then with a 350.

Mileage tho? REALLY? The manual trans might get you a bit, but not sure how much you'll really pick up hauling that much weight around.
lol it's still a bitch trying to find an AC waterpump pulley

my truck wont be heavy all the time like the work truck...so i figure thats gotta be good for 3 mpg between the taller 3.54 D60 and OD over what i get now...even with the extra cubes

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
instead of doin efi, why not do propane, the benefits of propane over gas r quite numerous, cheaper, higher octane, better gas mileage etc. a conversion kit is a lot cheaper than efi. just a thought
i've worked with propane conversions (old alis-chalmers forklift) and for short trips/indoors it's great. not so much for a tow rig, hell cng is great for that but just the tanks can cost 1k or more. ford efi is fine mainly the bad part of ford efi is their shitty connectors.

btw i found a 5 spd zf out of a 90/91 f350 2wd with the 351W/302 bellhousing pattern in wi for 150$....and it has a PTO!!!!!! woot!
it sure would be perfect for a 10Kwatt generator/welder :pedobear:

plus the added fuel econ of a nice 5.8efi would be nice over the 460 and parts are cheeper -not to mention no one makes 460 headers for the 67-72 trucks with the front swaybar....but they do have em for the sb.

i could dig a nice 5.8/5spd in my truck.....and when jamie gets rid of the vortech for a procharger F3 i could toss it on my truck lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info