20 psi + reman axle = FAIL

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
did some tuning today, and brought the boost up to 20psi...beat the crap outta the car, and then decided i would try to feather a launch on street tires...well i didnt get 2 inches...

busted the right side axle clean off in the diff. i was worried it was the input shaft at first, this is much less expensive, and only have to remove the diff....

100_1379.jpg

100_1380.jpg

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
i was worried about the i/s because of the way it acted...im only running a 4340...it didnt move an inch when i launched....i got out, and didnt see the axle moving at all, like you do sometimes when they break, then i realized i didnt have park, so i knew it was axle/diff related...pulled the axle, and it was quite obvious lol

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
You know you could just drill/tap a bolt in there and pry on the bolt to remove, then you can leave the diff and the cover in/on the trans

(it shoudl be steel, so a good magnet will catch all the drill shavings

theres no way to catch all the shavings...considering it will take all of 20 mins to pull the diff out, not worth the risk IMHO

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
damn thats pretty awesome. That might top my car when I had the cartuning kit on it.. input shaft snapped clean off.. like someone took a saw to it...

might?

everyone breaks input shafts, I've never seen a sheared axle before...

cracked/exploded CV's yes, but never a full-on shear failure like that.

impressive, but also indicative of how shitty reman axles are. No heat treatment at all, and a simple shearing failure. That wouldn't happen with a stock shaft.

[/engineernerdtalk]

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
yeah the reman shafts are junk..i will be changing both of mine to napa max drives, which are new shafts, and also carry a lifetime warranty. with having a good friend work there, and having a good account, i can get both for around 100 total....

repaired the damage tonight, only took an hour total and 50 bucks, a lot less than a chain or i/s would have taken...installed a napa shaft tonight and put the slicks on....no launching but the car pulls good...

heres a couple pics of the other half of the shaft

100_1381.jpg

100_1383.jpg

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
if shaun could have kept that thing up to snuff, that 500whp car woulda been a shit ton of fun. in that respect, id love to dyno 500 with mine!

On race gas and a good tune i don't see you being too far off of that. My dream of putting down 500whp won't happen until i have a much bigger wallet. I'm hoping for around 400whp with the spray this year if i'm lucky.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info