Car and Driver Photoshops Fake Drag Race, get's called out

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I think this is some bullshit. I read the article in the magazine, and nowhere does it say the images were photoshopped. They even attribute the pictures as taken by a photographer. It doesn't say, "Illustration by ..."

Fuck Car and Driver

500x_CarAndDriverBS.jpg

http://jalopnik.com/5373164/caranddriver-photoshops-fake-drag-race-blames-suicidal-fan+boy-writer

CarandDriver included the above shot of a BMW X6M beating out a hopped-up Chevy Nova II at Michigan's Milan Dragway for their review of the Bimmer. The only problem is it never happened. C&D's response below.

A member of THE H.A.M.B. forum posted the picture from the review showing his car being raced against the X6. The car's owner stated:

"This months car and driver has a artical about a bmw twin turbo suv that goes anywhere,hauls anything and beats anything.They show it hauling bails of straw and driving on the e-way and then beating a stright axle,fuel injected,altered wheelbase 63 chevy II on the dragstrip................Whooooooa. That is my chevy and that little red suv couldn't beat my car in its wildest dreams. Do they really have to photo crop and mis-represent the public into thinking if they buy a bmw suv,then thay too can do what their mag says. I hope someone who advertises in that book see's this and decides on why they support the down rite lies they print."

Though the article never explicitly states that it's racing the other cars, the photo gallery is full of shots of the X6 racing various vehicles it turns out weren't actually there. So what does CarandDriver have to say about this? They use this obviously embarrassing moment to take a tongue-in-cheek potshot at John Phillips, a writer for the buff book who penned the article.

CarandDriver Official Response:
"John Phillips became so attached to the BMW X6M that it - appropriately enough - triggered many irrational responses. One of these was his insistence that we photoshop the BMW beating the clearly superior Chevy Nova. Any attempt to dissuade him - by telling him, for instance, that only an idiot would believe a BMW SUV could beat a purpose-built drag car - just resulted in heated calls to the suicide hotline and even more foaming at the mouth than usual."

It's funny, but we think CarandDriver needs to either apologize to the owners whose cars were being portrayed as losers or actually race them for pinks. We'll even pay Csaba to come out and judge.

500x_image_cd_gallery2.jpg

500x_image_cd_gallery.jpg

500x_image_cd_gallery4.jpg

500x_image_cd_gallery3.jpg

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
the two action shots above with the car moving....they used the exact same picture to p-shop both of them. Look at all the glares, reflections, and shadows on the car, they're all the same. Pretty shitty job of doctoring photos no less.

pretty fucking weak C&D

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I've driven the X6 a few times for work and there's honestly no purpose for a four-seater SUV like the X6 to exist. But it's too much fun, especially with 400 hp twin turbo v8, for me to hate the car.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
BMW shat out the X6 M and every publication has to lick its nuts. Not saying it's a bad vehicle and i don't fault BMW for trying make some money. But honestly, what kind of adoring public wants this thing, other than people with a ton-o-money?

I'd take the x6m over the current M5 right now. Not to mention, Porsche's best seller is the Cayenne.

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info