Getting my motorcycle license

For those of you who ride a bike. Do you have your license?

• Yes

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • No

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

Shibby50

TCG Elite Member
Mar 30, 2008
Braidwood, IL
I'm finally gonna break down and go attempt to get it. Any pointers on the riding part of the test? I ride my buddies bike occasionally and I've never really worried about getting it, same goes for my dad. He's never had his license and been riding for over 20 years. I know a good majority of riders don't have it, but everytime I ride I always have that iffy feeling in the back of my head. I also plan on getting a bike sometime in the spring, so I might as well do it now.

Guess I'll add a poll as well for the topic.

Riski

Suck my balls!
Jun 23, 2009
North Aurora
Look up NIU motorcycle safety course........it is a free course fri night, sat, and sunday......They just take donations......You ride their bikes.....You take the written and road course, and get a certificate on sunday......then take that to DMV, no wait in line and get your new license.....easy and fun.......

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
I've known a couple guys actually doing the DMV riding test on a rocket. An old buddy of mine did it on his gsxr and passed.

I don't have my license. I haven't ridden in a while, but I bought my first bike in 2005 and rode it no problem ever since. I did take the safety course at ecc, but failed the riding portion by 3 points....which was from me basically putting my foot down on the figure 8. I'm just not that great with the figure 8. I was doing so well during the practices with no problems what so ever on everything, but when it comes time for an actual test, I get test anxiety. So I tend to mess up a little bit more. Plus, I acquired my bad habits riding for a while prior to taking this course, so it's hard to break bad habits. I'll sign up next season to finally get that "M" endorsement now that it's out of my system.

But yes...it's pretty simple actually. From 6-10pm on Friday, 8-6pm on Saturday, and 8-6pm on Sunday (although you'll actually be out no later than about 2 or 3. They just brief up a little bit on Sunday and you take the tests. The written portion is a piece of cake. I got 100% on it with no problems.

Good luck

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
Look up NIU motorcycle safety course........it is a free course fri night, sat, and sunday......They just take donations......You ride their bikes.....You take the written and road course, and get a certificate on sunday......then take that to DMV, no wait in line and get your new license.....easy and fun.......

Those fill up really fast. Doesnt that start after the first of the year?

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
As far as the classes go, that would be the best bet for anyone on here. You will learn a lot so you will be prepared in different situations.
If you go to the DMV, please find someone with a 250. It makes it so much easier. When I went, everyone with a full size bike either crashed or failed. It's doable, but you gotta have some really good balance. Whatever you do, just be careful and don't think you know everything on the road. I been riding a few years now and I still learn new things.

XxApollynxX

TCG Elite Member
Jun 2, 2008
Plainfield
I walked into the DMV asked for the permit test browsed the book and passed for the Permit. Then I took a safety course and got a 100% on the actual riding test they test you on 6 different areas and I would be willing to meet you at a DMV who has the paintings and show you the tests or you can look it up online.

If you arn't hurting for cash check out
Check out www.ridechicago.com

I did that and I get a pretty good discount on insurnace because I passed.

And for the people who voted no to riding with out a license, i'm sorry but you are just stupid. And you are big part of the reason why motorcylists get a bad name.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I walked into the DMV asked for the permit test browsed the book and passed for the Permit. Then I took a safety course and got a 100% on the actual riding test they test you on 6 different areas and I would be willing to meet you at a DMV who has the paintings and show you the tests or you can look it up online.

If you arn't hurting for cash check out
Check out www.ridechicago.com

I did that and I get a pretty good discount on insurnace because I passed.

And for the people who voted no to riding with out a license, i'm sorry but you are just stupid. And you are big part of the reason why motorcylists get a bad name.

X2 on everything. I walked into the DMV and read a motorcycle pamphlet they had and passed the permit test. :rofl:

Definatly do the saftey course. You also get an insurance discount for taking it.

sp_dynasty

I AM THE STIG
Oct 2, 2008

try to do something like that bc it'll give u a break in insurence... as for the riders course at the dmv its not really hard at all i just went there this weekend and got my m class id say get a smaller bike to do it on and its cake the written test is easy too i just skimmed the illinois motorcycle book

Thread Info