What are some good ford 302 resources?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Getting the ranger back, and picking up its short block soon to start building its bottom-end. Where can I go to find articles on builds, swaps, what years are compatable with what etc?

Found a 93 fox bottom end on the cheap, I know it will work with the GT40p Heads I'll be using, but will the bottom end work with OBD2 electronics/wiring? what all will I need to do to the bottom end to make this work? Where should I be buying internals/rebuild parts from, Should I buy aftermarket pistons if I'm going to be doing a mild build *Spray, high stall Converter, GT40P heads, Maybe an intake manifold, 4:10's, and header-back exhaust (Have to keep stock headers :( )*

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
some additional questions:

What are the differences in the blocks in the 96+ Ford explorers opposed to fox's if any? *Mounts the same? or no?*

8.8 rear-ends, I seem them out of explorers, mustangs, V-6 rangers, do these all essentially just 'bolt on' to my ranger? or do I have to use one out of a V-6 powered ranger because of my rear suspension setup opposed to ranger/mustangs/etc?

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Apparently the last years of the Mountaineer/Exploder and that best versions of the 5.0. I believe they had the GT40 heads, although I am not sure about the cams or other internals. I would assume that the bottom end would matter. I thought that the Crank Position Sensor would run right off the crank and would need to be a later block and/or crank so it would have this item, and all of the items to make it work.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
i have no technical info to add to this thread, just a question.

When you're done with this build, can i drive it?

PERSONALLY I don't think its going to be very fast, just because this is my first RWD build, and its going to have serious traction issues being a pickup.

I do look forward to the uniqueness of this build :), when its all said and done, I'll own 2 very unique ford V-8s

LSx S10

TCG Elite Member
Nov 15, 2007
Lombard, IL
PERSONALLY I don't think its going to be very fast, just because this is my first RWD build, and its going to have serious traction issues being a pickup.

Sweet! im glad your doing this project again. Traction issues is the last of your worries though, wheel hop is a much bigger problem. After I installed my posi and gears, the rear of my truck will hop off the ground when i try to light em up lol. Your defiantly going to need some kind of traction bar.

and btw i have some parts from my old 90 fox. For a 302 I have a new starter, alternator, and a set of gt seats. Those seats would work pretty well in a ranger.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
lol @ sho being unique.

what transmission do you plan to use? what about a driveshaft?
this swap isnt going to be as easy and cheap as your honda swaps were, but good luck.

It IS as easy as the honda swaps amazingly...

4R70W Trans, 8.8 ranger rear-end, mated to a 2WD Explorer sport Driveshaft *IIRC this is the same wheel base/trans combination*

I WILL have to fabricate/purchase a set of front motor mounts due to mine not being torsion bar in the front, but the rest all works as it should.

My ranger is a 98, so no PATS keys, so all I need is a V-8 Explorer ECU, and I'll need to convert the 5.0 I put into the truck to a return-less fuel system and change out the fuel pump.

I know it will not be as cheap as the honda swap, but this swap in a 98+ style is very un-common, and I think being a regular cab, stepside truck, will give it a unique stance/quality to it that I have never seen.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info