Anybody own or driven a 06 or 07 Range Rover Sport?

shaferz

slaps a ho
Sep 9, 2008
Central IL
Not the HSE.

Specifically the supercharged 4.2 version.

Wife wants one seriously bad. We love the way they look. After looking, it appears they can tow at least as much as the TBSS can. We can afford it.

Tell me how shitty it is vs. our AWD TBSS.

We need to go drive one, but the closest dealership that has one is either in Peoria or up in the suburbs. We really do like our TBSS, but would like to step it up a notch. Just trying to decide if its worth going to find one just to test drive.

:pedobear:

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
I haven't driven one, but have always liked them. Their quality is questionable but it will be a lot more luxurious than your TBSS. I say go test drive one and see what its like. You know everyone on here is going to say you're crazy to get rid of the TBSS for a range rover, but I'd rather have the range myself.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Their reliability ratings are pretty awful. Consistently at the bottom of the list of all automakers. The problem with buying used is that most repairs won't be covered under the warranty.

I haven't driven the Sport but had a Range Rover Supercharged for an extended weekend. It's a very comfortable and quick SUV but by no means "fast." Lots of electronic conveniences on the inside that have the potential to break. Electronics, suspension, drive system and brakes rank especially poor in Consumer Reports ratings.

Riski

Suck my balls!
Jun 23, 2009
North Aurora
They are nice, and it shares the same motor as my Jag......it is stout, nice on the inside, and looks good with some rims....It is an upgrade but a pricey one if something where to go wrong with a sensor or what not.....Extended coverage is a must and not modify it to much and just enjoy the drive.....Check local dealers....Sure there are a few around ya....

shaferz

slaps a ho
Sep 9, 2008
Central IL
How bout I am at work and don't want to type out why I think they are junk. :dunno: I just hear horrible things about them. Cost of ownership, reliability, etc.

Dude seriously, go cut yourself already.

Thanks for the advice everybody else. I expected that cost of ownership would be higher. If that was an issue, I wouldnt have been looking at one in the first place. The quick reviews I read on them were mostly positive and praised the brakes and 4 corner air suspension. :shrug:

Guess I need to read deeper.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
When they're working they are great. The one I drove had the adjustable suspension that raised and lowered a considerable amount. But it was completely useless as far as suburban driving and I see no need for that unless the owner is a serious off-roader. I've been able to take a few off road at press drive events, and they're spectacular when it comes to the heavy duty stuff.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I think they look baller as fuck. Don't think i would drop a TBSS for it though given the alleged reliability. I'm not sure how so many people are singing this things praises when they have never driven it and Joe who reviews car's for a living is saying they are reliability nightmares. Dan Henderson's didn't even make it home.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
a very regular customer has an older land rover discovery which has been rock solid.
he also owns a newer LR3 (08 i think). it went through a set of tires in 20k around town miles (255/60R18 tires aren't cheap either), a set of front brakes in ~12k miles, the steering rack is leaking, the air suspension is having issues and probably more. all this under 30k miles....
granted you aren't looking at the same car, but this im sure these issues plague more than just the LR3.....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info