wheel repair/refinishing

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
ive never done a wheel. if you want to take a spare that i have and try it, let me know. if it turns out good, id gladly pay you for your time to refinish them.

Doing them isn't hard. Are these the GTA lace wheels?

I did a set of Fiero wheels before. They were originally a smoke gray and I did them in black (See pic below for finished look)
I stripped the original paint off with permatex spray-on gasket remover.
I then wet sanded the lip with 280 grit, then 400 grit, then 600 grit, then 2000 grit. Finally I polished the lip with Mother's aluminum polish. The lip came out to a chrome looking mirror finish. If you look closely at the lip on your wheels, you will see tooling lines from when they cut the wheels, The wet-sanding removes these small tooling lines.

The inside rear part of the wheel is sanded and lightly polished. Not quite mirror finish like the lip.

I then primed and painted the center with black urethane paint.

If you want I can do the spare and you can see what they look like.

The only other question is will these be summer only or all year round wheels?
If used year round I would suggest doing a clear urethane coating over the entire wheel to protect them. It does dull the mirror finish slightly. If these would be summer only wheels, I could leave off the clearcoat leaving the lip look like a mirror finish. A good waxing is enough to keep them shiny and protected.

Price wise, It'll run about $80 for the materials and I would charge $50 per wheel for labor. So about $280 for 4 wheels.

I just checked out the Wheel's America website. You may want to take note of this statement:
We use computer controlled machines to ensure accuracy and the correct surface finish, including the fine lines found in machined wheels.

They leave the tooling lines in the finish which will give you a polished look, But not a mirror finish. So it depends on what you want.

Attachments

• wheel_4.jpg
    wheel_4.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 54

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
those look very similar to the crosslaced gta wheels i have, and your wheel looks great! this car is only driven in the summer, rarely even sees rain.

did you make a jig to spin the wheel while doing yours? ive heard of some people doing that.

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
those look very similar to the crosslaced gta wheels i have, and your wheel looks great! this car is only driven in the summer, rarely even sees rain.

did you make a jig to spin the wheel while doing yours? ive heard of some people doing that.

Nope, All of it was done by hand.
Since I start with a 280 grit and work down to the 2000 grit, it really doesn't take too long.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info