Motor oil VS Supercharger oil

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I know there is a difference, but I never understood what it was. Some even say you can run engine oil in a supercharger. Those comments usually get disregarded.

The reason I ask is cause I actually decided to change the S/C oil today.

5848_1166013484983_1667283377_430658_4809271_n.jpg

So what is the secret behind S/C oil?

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
Fairly certain it's a tallow based, organic oil of some sort.

It has the non-foaming characteristics of gear oil without the high viscosity. It allows it to deal with extremely high RPM meshing gears, while producing relatively low levels of heat, and not foaming up. Motor oil would foam up in a supercharger application I'd think, and typical 90W gear oil would really crank up the power required to turn the thing at high RPM, especially in a modded car.

You'd never think the blower oil to be an important aspect, but I could see it being a pretty big factor in a high-hp M90 build, seeing as a perfectly running M90 in a max-effort car is using up 80+ hp just to turn the fucker.

I really would love to know absolutely for sure what the makeup of the stuff is, but I doubt you could weasel much info out of Eaton.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
The guys that run mobil 1 in their blower always make me cringe. Pretty sure it's cheaper just to use the supercharger oil.

Ehh, a quart of M1 is only $5 normally. While it costs $16 to walk into a dealer and buy GM Supercharger oil which is 10 oz and you only need 8 of them.

I actually got this oil for free when I ordered Intense motor mounts for $20. I was leary cause they say its from the same place GM gets their oil, but then someone assured me it was GM oil just in their own bottle. :rofl:

Also, I know the shit smells, but not as bad as I remember. Probably cause I only waited 50Kish miles to change it. People usually get to their first change at least 100K+ miles.

Also, do you think a lab like blackstone could test this and maybe tell you what the oil contains?

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
Also, I know the shit smells, but not as bad as I remember. Probably cause I only waited 50Kish miles to change it. People usually get to their first change at least 100K+ miles.

i changed mine when i first got my gtp, which was at 95k. i about puked just from opening the fill plug. i figured it was the original oil. i doubt the majority of people that buy this car know what supercharger is, much less the oil that goes into it.
as for the people that put regular oil in, they always made me :ugh:

I know there is a difference, but I never understood what it was. Some even say you can run engine oil in a supercharger. Those comments usually get disregarded.

The reason I ask is cause I actually decided to change the S/C oil today.

5848_1166013484983_1667283377_430658_4809271_n.jpg

So what is the secret behind S/C oil?

I always thought you could just run engine oil in a supercharger, I guess I was wrong?

What is the main difference?

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
What is the main difference?

It has the non-foaming characteristics of gear oil without the high viscosity. It allows it to deal with extremely high RPM meshing gears, while producing relatively low levels of heat, and not foaming up. Motor oil would foam up in a supercharger application I'd think, and typical 90W gear oil would really crank up the power required to turn the thing at high RPM, especially in a modded car.

;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info