Operation ( GO CART )

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
Hey guys, I was given a old gocart from my friend. The thing is from 1994, it has a 5hp motor on it. It seems to be not very fast so I was looking and found a 11hp motor for it. My question is do you think that would be to much for a go cart?? A guy told me it would be to fast and I was shocked. Dont they make 600CC go carts? How fast do you think it would go with the 11hp motor. Anyone know about go carts on here. I will more then likely need brake help aswell..

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
ive built two custom homemade gokarts...but they only have a 3.5HP briggs motor and do about 30MPH. A 11HP motor will only be as good as the drivetrain/gearing. Also what kind of motor is it? A horizontal shaft 11HP 4 cycle?

Whats the current setup with the 5HP motor? Im assuming it has a centrifigal clutch and single wheel drive? Centrifigul clutches wont work with anything higher than 8HP (will burn up to quickly). You would need to get a torque converter which can handle the higher HP and would want to change the rear to a live axle if it isnt already. It will do alot of one wheel peels if not. 11HP will likely do about 35-40MPH and will accelerate fairly quickly depending on the weight of the motor/frame.

Heres a popular torque converter people use: is http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/218352A.html?id=TDDPr8EF

I really want to pickup a 13HP Honda small engine, or a nice 18-26 HP V-twin briggs/stratton for my gokart but i would need a beefier frame.

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
ive built two custom homemade gokarts...but they only have a 3.5HP briggs motor and do about 30MPH. A 11HP motor will only be as good as the drivetrain/gearing. Also what kind of motor is it? A horizontal shaft 11HP 4 cycle?

Whats the current setup with the 5HP motor? Im assuming it has a centrifigal clutch and single wheel drive? Centrifigul clutches wont work with anything higher than 8HP (will burn up to quickly). You would need to get a torque converter which can handle the higher HP and would want to change the rear to a live axle if it isnt already. It will do alot of one wheel peels if not. 11HP will likely do about 35-40MPH and will accelerate fairly quickly depending on the weight of the motor/frame.

Heres a popular torque converter people use: is http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/218352A.html?id=TDDPr8EF

I really want to pickup a 13HP Honda small engine, or a nice 18-26 HP V-twin briggs/stratton for my gokart but i would need a beefier frame.

Here is the motor I was thinking of..

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Blue-Max-11...in_0?hash=item5ad2cf3bf5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg

that looks like a knock-off Honda GX390, and if it is just a rebadged Honda thats a really good price!

http://www.honda-engines.com/engines/gx390.htm

Where would I go to get brakes for this?? Anyone know

ive ordered alot of parts from these guys, they have everything you need to build a gokart.

http://www.mfgsupply.com/GoMini.html/mv_session_id=m6sJDrqz

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
Who the fuck says you can't get a centrifugal to hold up to more than 8hp?

I've dynoed one on a 16 hp briggs, and it held juuuuust fine, engaged perfectly, held over 50 ft-lbs of torque, etc.

You do need to figure out what the drivetrain is though. Figure out what the motor's output shaft is, diameter, keyway, etc. There's a decent chance that the output shafts on the two motors in question are not the same.

There's also a good chance that the clutch or CVT, whichever it has, will not hold up to you more than doubling the power, in which case, you'll need to upgrade the CVT/clutch to something beefier.

The clutch I tested ran around 450 bucks I believe. Racing clutch, but definitely a quality part.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Who the fuck says you can't get a centrifugal to hold up to more than 8hp?

i need to clarify....I meant to say the cheaper centrifugal clutches wont hold up to more than 8HP for very long.... i never meant ALL clutches. IDK what kind of cart he got but if its just an on-road/light offroad gokart it probably only has a basic centrifugal clutch, which wont last very long with a high HP engine...yeah it will work but will burn through the clutch plates very quickly with any abuse....Yes a $450 racing clutch vs. a $45 Comet clutch should be next to bulletproof and can handle alot more power/abuse.

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
The motor is a Tecumseh 6.0. The kart is from some company called master-of-motion. Theres a website sticker with the model number on it but it is work out. Ill try to find out more. The belt must be slipping because once you start it the kart bounces around for a few seconds and then goes. It scoots for something that was just sitting around for a few years.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
I believe the chassis' on 600cc go karts are a little more refined than the one you got with a 5hp motor. 11 couldn't hurt... what's it going to do, twist the frame? I'm sure gearing has a lot to do with it too.
true
there is a guy in texas that builds go karts using suzuki gsxr 750 engines.
and kids drive them......:hsugh:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info