Do I trust GM's engineering???

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I'm at about 3k miles in the G8 and was going to take it in for an oil change. But I figured I'd check the owners manual to look at the maintenance schedule. It says a dummy light should come on to tell me when the oil needs changing. It also says it could almost go an entire year before turning on due to the way it's calculated. It's not according to mileage, but a measurement of engine temperature and engine revolutions. I guess I'm just old-school and prefer to take it in every 3k miles, but maybe I should just heed the advice of the all-knowing owner's manual.

KaMaSuTrA

Resident Sexi Man
Aug 22, 2008
Chicago IL
The oil life monitor is a pretty sophisticated algorithm.

GM "The GM Oil Life System will automatically adjust the oil change interval based on engine characteristics, driving habits and the climate in which the vehicle is operated."

oillife.gif

GMOLS is a computer-based algorithm that assesses engine combustion events, temperature, vehicle use, and other parameters to determine optimum oil change intervals. Oil changes are now called for when actually needed, instead of depending on generic time or mileage interval tables. Mild highway driving in a mild climate can yield change intervals of 7,000 miles (11,000 km) or more, and as high as 12,000 miles (19,000 km) for some vehicles. Short trip driving in cold weather may reduce intervals to 3,000 miles (5,000 km) or less. Most people driving a combination of city and highway will likely see intervals of about 6,000 miles (10,000 km).

When GMOLS determines that an oil and filter change is needed, the driver is notified by a Change Oil message on the instrument panel (fig. 10). Oil should be changed within 600 miles (1000 km).

TIP:The Oil Life System must be manually reset when the oil is changed.

How the Oil Life System is Related to Maintenance
The previously complicated, traditional normal/severe maintenance schedules required about 25 pages of explanation in the owner’s manual. The new simplified maintenance schedules can be explained in about 3 pages (see TechLink May 2003 for a summary).

All routine maintenance is grouped into one of two schedules, Maintenance I and Maintenance II. These services should be performed alternately, each time the GMOLS message is displayed.

Benefits of GM Oil Life System and Simplified Maintenance
Benefits for the customer -- GMOLS takes the guesswork out of when oil changes are needed; the owner doesn’t have to keep track of anything. With maintenance intervals now aligned with oil changes, the customer can conveniently have both done during one service visit.

Benefits for the dealer
Because of the typically extended oil change intervals, the customer may come back less frequently. But when they do come back, it’s for more services. The inspection and service points of both Maintenance I and Maintenance II are thorough, and are intended to keep the vehicle in good working order. They also give the technician the opportunity to locate, identify and recommend other needed services.

Benefits for the environment
With GMOLS now installed on upwards of 20 million vehicles, if it’s used as intended, it can save almost 100 million gallons of oil in 5 years. And remember that every quart of oil poured into an engine eventually has to be drained out and properly disposed of.

This is from cadillacfaq.com but it should provide some insight on the subject. As mentioned theres no harm in changing the oil at 3k intervals.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
actually the gm oil system is extremely accurate and changes based on the driver and driving conditions. with newer oils and newer manufacturing processes, the oil can last longer and engines are put together much better from factory then in the old days.

heres more information on it from gm.

http://www.goodwrench.com/_res/pdf/OLS1.pdf

The GM Oil Life System (OLS) is a
computer-based algorithm that assesses
engine oil condition and optimizes oil
change intervals based on vehicle and
environmental operating conditions.

02DyeFour

There can be only One...
Mar 13, 2008
Oak Forest/DeKalb
I think they want to base it off engine revolutions and temperature because you could have your car sitting there runnning for long periods of time without it moving. So it might have a lot of engine time, but not many miles. They want another way to base oil changes on more sound data I'm assuming.

I used the oil life reading in my GP and it is pretty close to when I think it should be changed.

But, let everyone said, its cheap security to just change it

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Straight from the mouth of silentd. Take that to the BANK, kiddies!

I know stinkstar usually likes to bank on the oil life indicator. I changed my oil last week along with the brakes and my buddy was asking why the oil was so black. I said I followed the oil life indicator. He asked why and that I should change every 3K miles. I just shrugged. :hsugh:

IIRC I went 45XX miles between oil changes and the oil was pretty fucking dirty.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
I know stinkstar usually likes to bank on the oil life indicator. I changed my oil last week along with the brakes and my buddy was asking why the oil was so black. I said I followed the oil life indicator. He asked why and that I should change every 3K miles. I just shrugged. :hsugh:

IIRC I went 45XX miles between oil changes and the oil was pretty fucking dirty.

Oil should be dirty, if you go 3k+ and it isn't at least a little dirty, it isn't absorbing crap like it should be

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I like how they state their real intentions... saving oil. I'll still be replacing my oil every 3k.

True. I just need to save up and buy some oil so I have some in the garage and can do it regularly. I also need to head out to bufu to buy it. Bought a 5 quart jug of Mobile 1 at Target in Oswego for $22!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info