GTR, moddable to the EXTREME!

NetChemica

Let me see your crack!
May 23, 2007
Japanese GT-Rs are speed-limited for the street: As has been widely reported, unless it's driven on a preapproved racetrack, a stock Japanese-spec GT-R is limited to 180 kph (111.8 mph) with the factory settings. GPS sensors in the navigation system track vehicle position and communicate with the ECU. Try to exceed 180 kph, and a warning light will appear on the instrument panel. Only shutting the car off and restarting it will get the light to disappear.

But can be run all-out at the track: Running a GT-R at the track requires scrolling through menus in the on-board computer and selecting the racetrack option that bypasses the speed limiter. Only then can the car be run to its full potential.

Though it'll cost you: Once the track day is over, owners who have run their GT-Rs over the speed limit are required to take them to a preapproved Nissan High Performance Center for a safety check. Failure to perform this $1000 service will void the factory warranty.

As for the wheel and tire rumor: That the factory wheels cannot be removed without sending an error code to the ECU, MINE'S has proven this myth wrong. It's been able to take off wheels, rotate them, and even change to higher-performance, non-run-flat tires. It did have to take the wheels to the Nissan dealership to get the job done at great expense; MINE'S ended up paying about $230 per wheel in labor.

Putting aftermarket rims on a GT-R is a different story: Because of a sensor located near the valve stem in each wheel, it isn't possible for the car to run on aftermarket rims without throwing an error code. All blinged-out GT-Rs at Auto Salon got there on stockers and only then were the shoes changed.

Some mild mods are possible: MINE'S has modified the exhaust system and a replacement air-filter element, both of which have reportedly made substantial extra power. It's also upgraded the brake rotors and switched to GT-R's suspension system to a coil-over system with no ECU problems.

But not all: MINE'S has tried replacing the factory air box and intake system with a high-flow cone-style system, but found its car will not run right. Raising the boost pressure on the twin turbos, a common way to increase power, also triggered errors in the extremely sensitive ECU.

yikes :(

http://www.motortrend.com/features/...02_nissan_muzzles_japanese_gtr/good_news.html

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
yea, the jdm spec GTR has a LOT of restrictions....last time i read, at the least, the speed limiter has been changed for the USDM model....nissan is going a bit out of their way to fuck over the end user for this car

japan has some speed regulations that are fairly retarded...if u read some hands on w/ the car..for example when it was on the autobhan, i believe they had it up to 150+ when doing side by side tests w/ the 997 911

seems i was right

More good news: For all the GT-R's stunning performance, it's hard to understand why any enthusiast in Japan would purchase a GT-R given all the restrictions and headaches. We seem to be in the clear, though; our sources at Nissan USA have told us no such GPS-based speed limiters will be placed on U.S.-spec GT-Rs, though it's unclear where we stand with the rest of the limitations.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
id bet money on almost all those restrictions being lifted for the US release...nissan needs to establish the GTR in the US market and they wouldnt risk fucking up such an important launch w/ shit like that

Not to mention, if a service visit costs 1k, imagine how much it's going to cost when these crazy sensors start to fail.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
if you can show me a link that says you cant adjust boost on the US version, please do so

again, this is a BIG step for nissan....the skyline (now GTR) has never been in the US. they will not fuck this up...id say this even if i wasnt a diehard skyline fan

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
if you can show me a link that says you cant adjust boost on the US version, please do so

again, this is a BIG step for nissan....the skyline (now GTR) has never been in the US. they will not fuck this up...id say this even if i wasnt a diehard skyline fan

"Raising the boost pressure on the twin turbos, a common way to increase power, also triggered errors in the extremely sensitive ECU."

I dont see a reason to put any sorta limiters on that car regardless of location. I never said the US version wont be able to boost more than stock without causing errors in the ECU, I just said that would be gay if that was the case. I dont think there are many links with 100% correct information on the US GTR because its not released yet and it wont be for some time.

I dont see why the US version would be diffrent than the Jap version. If anything the Jap version should be more restrictive.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
sigh...do i have to get into japan regulations vs. us ones?

the GTR comes out this year by the way..i hardly see that as "some time."

cliff notes: japanese "sport cars" were subject to VERY strict standards back during the r32, r33 and r34 days due to what was called the "gentlemen's agreement". what that basically meant was there was agreement between the major jap auto manufacturers to limit the maximum power of their cars to 276 hp (i think thats the exact number). now, mind you that regulation is done and over with but i have no doubt that there are still strict ass regulations for any car coming out of that country, and no doubt the GTR had to comform to them...we have far less regulations when it comes to high hp, high speed cars...

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
sigh...do i have to get into japan regulations vs. us ones?

the GTR comes out this year by the way..i hardly see that as "some time."

cliff notes: japanese "sport cars" were subject to VERY strict standards back during the r32, r33 and r34 days due to what was called the "gentlemen's agreement". what that basically meant was there was agreement between the major jap auto manufacturers to limit the maximum power of their cars to 276 hp (i think thats the exact number). now, mind you that regulation is done and over with but i have no doubt that there are still strict ass regulations for any car coming out of that country, and no doubt the GTR had to comform to them...we have far less regulations when it comes to high hp, high speed cars...

So the Jap regulations make the GTR ECU get errors when you run higher boost?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info