Car Ideas

Altiery54

TCG Elite Member
Jun 14, 2007
Braidwood
I am picking up a "project/fun car" this winter/ early spring and am trying to get some ideas out there so I can take some time and research and plan it out. I am currently stuck on ideas so looking for a little insight

Looking in the 5-8K price range

88-90rx7 with a chevy small block and turbo350 trans. There's a company that makes mounts and sells fabbed parts specifically for this conversion. Hell a 2700lb car with a sprayed small block could be fun

2003 skittle they go for around 7500-8K around here.

High mileage LS1 car

XxApollynxX

TCG Elite Member
Jun 2, 2008
Plainfield
Theres a 1994 Z28 roller for sale for $850 OBO that is clean! I would personally buy an f-body and I think most f-body owners on here would probably agree. It depends on what you really want to do with this. I dont know how many RX7 v8 swaps i've seen and it doesnt suprise any one any more. Are you going to race it or not? Do you have a DD? Do you just want a fun car thats some what quick.

If your going to get a skittle stay away from 03's because they dont have a LSD and they came with smaller injectors from the factory. 04/05 have LSD's and he "Stage 1" injectors. SRT-4s are fun I used to have one but remember your still in a FWD Neon sure they can scoot but it takes money to really get them moving and is harder the a RWD car.

Altiery54

TCG Elite Member
Jun 14, 2007
Braidwood
Theres a 1994 Z28 roller for sale for $850 OBO that is clean! I would personally buy an f-body and I think most f-body owners on here would probably agree. It depends on what you really want to do with this. I dont know how many RX7 v8 swaps i've seen and it doesnt suprise any one any more. Are you going to race it or not? Do you have a DD? Do you just want a fun car thats some what quick.

If your going to get a skittle stay away from 03's because they dont have a LSD and they came with smaller injectors from the factory. 04/05 have LSD's and he "Stage 1" injectors. SRT-4s are fun I used to have one but remember your still in a FWD Neon sure they can scoot but it takes money to really get them moving and is harder the a RWD car.

It will be a track whore car. Link to that roller?

I have a DD truck

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Your best bet is just pick up a rolling chassis with a cage in it. Find something in decent condition and put in whatever powertrain you should choose. Or find something that is already built. Soooo much cheaper than buying everything yourself.

To add to my post, go for something that is 1995 or older. No emissions testing.

Better than my idea in most respects

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
Hell a 2700lb car with a sprayed small block could be fun

Depending on the small block even normally aspirated is very fun in a 2700 lbs 80's car. ;)

If you are looking for something small and fast similar to the RX7 with a V-8, You can pick up older Miata's and there are kits for 4.6-5.0 Mustang V-8's, Fiero's can take Northstars, LS series engines, as well as the standard SBC's,
There are parts to make a Ford Focus RWD with a V-8, Gen 3 F-bodies can be lightened and with a newer LS series engine can be a screamer.

Another place to look is the Kit and Custom for sale magazine they sell at gas stations. Many times you will find someone who started a project then had life get in the way and now they need to sell it. There's a guy in Rolling Meadows who bought a 80% done T-bucket for $6k from it and he finished it a couple of month ago. Said it cost him about $2k to finish and it looked great. You can't even buy the basic T kit for that price. There are quite a few engine swap cars that show up as well and can be bought for a decent price.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info