Votes: 2 22.2%
  • #3 Rebuild T5 trans

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters

Runtz52

Runs like a turtle with downs syndrome
Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
Okay, heres the deal I basically have three options in which i can pursue to solve my transmission issue with my pacer.

Option #1 : Rebuild my stock trans, got a quote from a shop in kankakee for around a $1000. im really not leaning this way because most of the hard parts in my trans are about shot, pulled the pan and metal chunks, thats y this route is quite pricey just for a rebuild, plus there is not a huge aftermarket for my trans so it would basically be a stock or near stock rebuild, so it prolly wont last too long.

Option #2 : Buying a built trans from TCI http://www.compperformancegroupstor...1100&Category_Code=TransAMCTC904StreetFighter
This way i can get my auto with a manual/auto valvebody like i want, it will run all day and i wont have to worry about it, but with the future mods im hoping to get in the next few years this thing will fall short on my requirements, this with all the stuff i will need will be roughly $1600

Option #3 : This is the one im leaning towards the most is buying a junkyard T5 trans. It is a 5 spd, and can be built to withstand upwards of 550 HP and 600 FtLb. This will however be the most costly coming in at around the $2000 mark, and by far the most difficult as i would need to find a manual pacer to get the clutch linkage from, and a manual AMC vehicle from '72 and up to get the bell housing, everything else can be bought or fabbed. The reason im leaning this way is i also plan on swapping the rear gears from a 2.53 non lsd to a 3.55 lsd, so i would like to have the 5 spd for gas mileage whereas both autos are only 3 spd.

So basically which way do think would be the most beneficial route for me to take?

Runtz52

Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
Is this going to be a street car or will it see the track alot?

I wouldnt settle for a stock trans, you will only be throwing money away.

if the car is going to be raced, you have to ask yourself if going with an auto would be more realistic for the power you want to put down.

i want to race it, but it will mostly be street driven, track time will only be realistically a few times a year which is why i want to go with a 5 spd to help with the gas mileage because of the higher gearing i want to do out back, and my future plans, are heads, new intake, bigger carb, and if i get bored with all that maybe a 100 shot.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
eh, this is just my .02 but T5's are garbage, you can build them up but i've seen "built" T5's get eaten up by a cammed 350 in 3rd gen F Body's... is there a way to bolt in either the borg warner or tremec T-56 6 speed? Those transmissions are much better by far and will let you gear your car a bit higher because 5th and 6th are overdrive gears. again, just my thoughts if you were to take the manual route... like you said, it's the most expensive and I wouldent want to see someone throw their money away.

Runtz52

Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
a few T56 conversions have been done not in my car but to my motor, it is possible its just finding one either at a junkyard or scraping up enough dough to get one, and from what ive read about the T5 is that it is very unpredictable, people managing to run a cammed setup with slicks and never have issues to guys completely demolishing them with stock set ups, idk this trans thing is only a possibility that im tossing around, it may happen this winter it may not

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
true ture... my 3rd gen is a DD it'll never be modded and it's an A4 nonetheless but i've seen people pop those things with an open rear end before. If I were you i'd look at having TCI do the trans, but again it's all what you want out of it... I love manual so if it was me i'd go the extra mile to do a swap, but, if you're just looking for somthing that'll get you up and running and you wont have to put attention into again I'd have to say look at the TCI route.

Runtz52

Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
if it was more for racing i would have absolutely no issue what so ever goin with the built TCI, but since it is only a 3 spd with a 1:1 3rd gear my gas mileage will suck, but with a 5 spd and i think a .65 5th gear, i can run my 3.55 gears and get about the same mileage im getting now,

Thread Info

• Runtz52
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list