Buying a New Car

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
So i was wondering what kind of tips you can give me as i'm getting serious about buying a new car.
Are there any websites you guys know of that are geared towards figuring out payments or finding invoice pricing?
Any tips for when we do the dance of negotiations?

My parents are clueless when it comes to buying cars and my dad is only good with figuring out numbers. The better educated i am, the better i can make a deal on my first new car and your experiences could really help me out and others who are in the same situation.

I've done the whole priced out/ build your car deal on VWs website for the car i want and the msrp is 24,169. Cars.com says the invoice pricing is 22,503. So i have a starting point. I don't know what tax would be in the NW burbs though.

Any help or advice would be totally welcome.

Thanks,
Poops.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Invoice isn't going to be truly what the dealership pays because of dealer holdback. A few of the consumer sites like Cars.com and Edmund's have a smart target price that is calculated from transaction prices, invoice and MSRP, which is supposed to be a starting point for negotiations, but sometimes it seems those numbers are a little off.

Here are a few of our articles that have some good info on negotiating. Also, always ask about incentives even if there aren't any listed on the VW site. Dealerships sometimes have cash back offers they can use at their discretion.

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story...e&story=ngBasics1&referer=advice&aff=national

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story...subject=negotiate&referer=advice&aff=national

4DRZ06

Addict
Jul 3, 2008
Reno Nv
Real Name
BRIAN
Dealer hold back is only about 2% not enough to make a dent. But sometimes there is dealer insentives and rebates to help you out. Dealers dont like telling you about dealer insentives, but they will if you ask. Invoice is a great place to be most dealers will go 500 over, but yes they will loose money to sell you a car if they want So sometimes they will sell at invoice. It all depends on the situation like if you act like buying today doesnt matter. So just ask to see invoice that will tell you all.

Poopshinanigans

Nov 18, 2007
I was planning on going today with my dad to run some numbers, nothing to commit to though. See what kind of price they can give me right now, and then shop around with that.

They wont negotiate on a car from the factory, right? I want a red sportwagen with beige interior, with the manual and TDi. That is really specific and they might not be able to find one anywhere.

I was planning on going today with my dad to run some numbers, nothing to commit to though. See what kind of price they can give me right now, and then shop around with that.

They wont negotiate on a car from the factory, right? I want a red sportwagen with beige interior, with the manual and TDi. That is really specific and they might not be able to find one anywhere.

They will negotiate, if they wont go somewhere else. NEVER pay full price. Even if you have to order the car, they can move on price.

I always walk in and dont act like you need the car. If you have a trade in, dont tell them when they ask. get the lowest price you can on the car at hand first, once that is in writing they cant go back on ther figure. Then tell them you thought about it and want to use a trade. They will try and low ball you on the trade as you got htem lower on the main price of the car. Stick to your gorund, know your current car, any problems, flaws etc.

Look up what your car is worth before you go looking so you know the average amount of what you can expect to get on your trade in.

If the deal looks good, have the dealer throw in some extras for you for within the determined amount. Ex. Undercoating, paint protection, a few oil changes. They are working for you, not the other way around. They will screw you if they can, flip it around on them. I always have good results. remember, if its not the price you want walk away, you can get a deal somewhere else. The dealer will call if they want the sale, as the market is now, they should bend over backwards for you.

Poopshinanigans

Nov 18, 2007
The car comes with free maintenance for 36m/36Kmiles.

Red with tan interior because i hate gray and black interiors and red is the best exterior color with tan. It looks sweet.

Today my dad and i went in and had them try and find a car for me. They found 2 cars in texas but the shipping was going to be between 1500-1800. I told her i was better off waiting and getting it from the factory. She replied that they don't know when a red on tan sportwagen tdi would come into port. I said i'm willing to wait.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
autobarn is really hurting now you should be able to walk in there and name your price... my buddy's dad just got a phaeton from there, he had an 05 corvette to trade, they gave him kbb for the vette which was somewhere in the low 30k's... they wanted another 15k on top of that for the phaeton... he got it for 6k over the trade lol. i'd order one or tell them if they want a sale they should work on getting one of those texas cars up here asap... be assertive and make them realize that if they get you want you want you'll buy the car.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info