Jiffy Lube + Oakland = hillarity

NetChemica

Let me see your crack!
May 23, 2007
So I pull in to get an oil change on my Explorer. Their ad says that they offer full chassis lube, and seeing as all my tools were at home, I figured I may as well just have someone else do it for a change.

So I see one of the guys underneath my car looking for anything else that could fix for me, so I went up and asked him: "Hey, I replaced the ball joints on this car a while back, could you make sure to lube them up for me?" He goes "yea, I'm looking for those right now", he then proceeds to look underneath the oil pan. He scans around the front suspension, but concentrates on the engine.

Then I over hear the manager talk about another customers car. "what's wrong, you can't find the a/c leak?", the tech goes "nawh, I can't find the COMPRESSOR!!".

I chuckle and continue reading my time magazine. I look at the guy who's working on my car and he's shitbagging with another tech. He goes "this guy wanted me to lube up the ball bearings or something like that". The other guy replies "I think he's confused, that explorer don't have a turbo". :rofl:

So the guy is finished. At this point I asked to see underneath my car cause I have a weird click from my rear end and I think it could be a u-joint. As I'm looking underneath, I notice there is MUD on my oil filter (keep in mind, my oil change is COMPLETE). I ask the tech if I get a new oil filter with my change and he goes "yea, you got one". So I show him the mud on my old one.

The guy goes to another tech and bitches him out for something (no hablo espanol). Then he comes back he'll take car of it. So the manager rings me out, and I ask her "so they changed the filter right?" "yea, the tech just forgot to drop it" "drop it?" "yea, it's a term we use in the auto industry, it means to drain the oil" :bowrofl:

:rofl: I'm never stepping a foot in that place again.

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
I would never go to any of the quick-change oil places. Way too many horror stories and I have had to repair friends cars after being screwed up by them. One place here put the oil drain plug on with an impact gun, Twisted the oil pan. For the 15-20 minutes it takes to do an oil change, I'll do it myself. That way I know what oil was used, what filter was used, and that it was done correctly.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
they seem to "forget" alot of things there. For a place that does mainly oil changes you would think they'd know the correct procedures. Theres a couple youtube vids of a news station marking their oil filters and discovering them untouched after an oil change. Then they call the owner/manager out on camera, its pretty funny.

transmaxed

TCG Elite Member
Jun 23, 2008
Palatine
Real Name
Matt
So I pull in to get an oil change on my Explorer. Their ad says that they offer full chassis lube, and seeing as all my tools were at home, I figured I may as well just have someone else do it for a change.

So I see one of the guys underneath my car looking for anything else that could fix for me, so I went up and asked him: "Hey, I replaced the ball joints on this car a while back, could you make sure to lube them up for me?" He goes "yea, I'm looking for those right now", he then proceeds to look underneath the oil pan. He scans around the front suspension, but concentrates on the engine.

Then I over hear the manager talk about another customers car. "what's wrong, you can't find the a/c leak?", the tech goes "nawh, I can't find the COMPRESSOR!!".

I chuckle and continue reading my time magazine. I look at the guy who's working on my car and he's shitbagging with another tech. He goes "this guy wanted me to lube up the ball bearings or something like that". The other guy replies "I think he's confused, that explorer don't have a turbo". :rofl:

So the guy is finished. At this point I asked to see underneath my car cause I have a weird click from my rear end and I think it could be a u-joint. As I'm looking underneath, I notice there is MUD on my oil filter (keep in mind, my oil change is COMPLETE). I ask the tech if I get a new oil filter with my change and he goes "yea, you got one". So I show him the mud on my old one.

The guy goes to another tech and bitches him out for something (no hablo espanol). Then he comes back he'll take car of it. So the manager rings me out, and I ask her "so they changed the filter right?" "yea, the tech just forgot to drop it" "drop it?" "yea, it's a term we use in the auto industry, it means to drain the oil" :bowrofl:

:rofl: I'm never stepping a foot in that place again.

idk why u would expect anything differently out of a Jiffy Lube. They did everything they would normally do.

Id be careful with any place. I know of a friend who brought his own oil and filter (mobil 1) to a shop his family has been going to their whole life, when we looked under the car we noticed a PREMIUM GUARD filter... i couldn't believe my eyes. God only knows what oil is in the car. Do your own shit.

32vMonte

Car is broke
Dec 3, 2008
idk why u would expect anything differently out of a Jiffy Lube. They did everything they would normally do.

Id be careful with any place. I know of a friend who brought his own oil and filter (mobil 1) to a shop his family has been going to their whole life, when we looked under the car we noticed a PREMIUM GUARD filter... i couldn't believe my eyes. God only knows what oil is in the car. Do your own shit.

That's like going to burger king and bringing your own meat. Use the oil they provide or do it your self. PPL get pissed at me all day long they bring there own oil and expect us to do an oil change for 10 bucks. We only give you $5 for your oil and $3 for your filter.

I don't blame you for being pissed tho, you asked for something and they ripped you off.

I would have found a place that has Mobil 1 products and had it done there.

Not like we don't use a quality oil (pennzoil, and purolater filters).

As to the OP I would find another quick lube that's for sure. Luckily we don't hire idiots at our jiffy lube, and everyone speaks english.

JDHedman

" The Remote Start Guy "
Jun 5, 2009
Algonquin
I worked at a few different lube shops in my teens and most the techs were usually stoned and or drunk( including me) we had guys forget to put filters on, forget to add oil all types of dumb shit. if i ever get my oil changed at a lube shop I pay close attention.
i know a few guys that wanted new motors so they went and had there oil changed at a shop and got home and put another seal on the filter and drove the car till it seized. the shops paid out on both said the tech forgot to make sure the seal on the old filter came off.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info