E85 Conversion

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I just did my lil brothers again (successfully this time unlike last season...) last week. Just scaled the IFR table tune was still spot on and we were running a 2.7 pulley@20psi 12.0-12.2 AFR with a little better than stock timing and no spikes of kr at all. The car was a monster, pulled really hard all the way to 120mph however, he's back on 93 and 2.9 until he goes on a road trip, but once he's back we'll probably be running it the rest of the summer. We might even try a 2.6 but that's completely up to him, his car...his money... He doesn't even have the dual pass intercooler plate, still stock flow with a cobra heat exchanger. I'd suggest it, despite the cobalt guys telling you "it doesn't work on cobalts" cause bottom line, cobalt peeps are fucking stupid (no offense) most of them are attempting to give advice and they haven't even graduated high school yet. Dumb ass's... Ohh yea, with huge injectors the shit goes fast, especially with the tiny cobalt gas tanks.

Altiery54

TCG Elite Member
Jun 14, 2007
Braidwood
ok, you convert to E85 and run a full tank of gas JUST on the highway and you tell me your MPG.

Or I can post the data of a LSJ that is running E85 in this area that does it.....

hey bud careful with E85 it never has the same consistency and it could fcuk you over instead of helping you out. just a heads up ma bud had to tune his car every time he loads up in mpo get a tank and fill it up but it will be the same thing every time you got to fill up that tank.

Ya thanks man. In gm cars that are e85 compatable theres a sensor that relays to the computer the % of ethanol in the e85. currently working on getting one set-up for my car :)

Currently uploading a reminder as to why you need a LS1 in the super ss vs altiery thread :bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl:

Because a 430whp car beat me? I remeber seeing a cobalt pull from a mustang in that video;)

Altiery54

TCG Elite Member
Jun 14, 2007
Braidwood
I just did my lil brothers again (successfully this time unlike last season...) last week. Just scaled the IFR table tune was still spot on and we were running a 2.7 pulley@20psi 12.0-12.2 AFR with a little better than stock timing and no spikes of kr at all. The car was a monster, pulled really hard all the way to 120mph however, he's back on 93 and 2.9 until he goes on a road trip, but once he's back we'll probably be running it the rest of the summer. We might even try a 2.6 but that's completely up to him, his car...his money... He doesn't even have the dual pass intercooler plate, still stock flow with a cobra heat exchanger. I'd suggest it, despite the cobalt guys telling you "it doesn't work on cobalts" cause bottom line, cobalt peeps are fucking stupid (no offense) most of them are attempting to give advice and they haven't even graduated high school yet. Dumb ass's... Ohh yea, with huge injectors the shit goes fast, especially with the tiny cobalt gas tanks.

Ya I am installing 80# injectors tomrow.... What in the tune needed adjusting? obviously the stoich had to be changed and the PE but what else? Did you change the injector o-rings at all?

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
When you scale the IFR table 33% you don't have to change anything else, it's going to be the exact same as it was on 93, everything will read the same, that's it. Doing it the other way changing stoich is stupid IMO just makes everything confusing. The seals that come with your aftermarket injectors are 99% of the time synthetic therefore just fine to use with E85, call whoever sold you them and find out. You'll want to change your fuel filter though, not necessarily to an E85 one (unless you want to) but to a high flow one. You won't be running it 100% of the year so don't worry about all the "it might hurt your car" shit, cause it won't. Cars are designed nowadays to resist large amounts of ethanol. If you ran it 100% of the time and let it sit for long periods of time, that would be a completely different story.

As for other changes to a tune, well... you have 105 octane... what would Jesus do?

Altiery54

TCG Elite Member
Jun 14, 2007
Braidwood
When you scale the IFR table 33% you don't have to change anything else, it's going to be the exact same as it was on 93, everything will read the same, that's it. Doing it the other way changing stoich is stupid IMO just makes everything confusing. The seals that come with your aftermarket injectors are 99% of the time synthetic therefore just fine to use with E85, call whoever sold you them and find out. You'll want to change your fuel filter though, not necessarily to an E85 one (unless you want to) but to a high flow one. You won't be running it 100% of the year so don't worry about all the "it might hurt your car" shit, cause it won't. Cars are designed nowadays to resist large amounts of ethanol. If you ran it 100% of the time and let it sit for long periods of time, that would be a completely different story.

As for other changes to a tune, well... you have 105 octane... what would Jesus do?

Timing and lots of it;) Cars pushing about 43-44lbs/min. and creating alot of heat so the cooling characteristic(sp.) will be greatly benificia and the octane is just another bonus.

esteinmaier

Dark Helmet
Jun 17, 2008
I run it, and it is like sex in fuel form.

In my car, I was getting 32ish mpg on stock injectors to 28mpg with larger injectors and a small turbo kit to 23mpg on e85 and a huge turbo setup.

I run 10-15 degrees more timing than people with similar setups on gasoline, and I make tons more power out of it. I also don't need such a huge intercooler to have the same temps at the valve because of the cooling effect.

It ate my fuel level sender after more than a year of running it and leaving it in the tank. No other damage whatsoever. I'm pretty sure that GM's senders are built better, since it seems like Chrysler cheaps out on all kinds of things like that.

Altiery54

TCG Elite Member
Jun 14, 2007
Braidwood
I run it, and it is like sex in fuel form.

In my car, I was getting 32ish mpg on stock injectors to 28mpg with larger injectors and a small turbo kit to 23mpg on e85 and a huge turbo setup.

I run 10-15 degrees more timing than people with similar setups on gasoline, and I make tons more power out of it. I also don't need such a huge intercooler to have the same temps at the valve because of the cooling effect.

It ate my fuel level sender after more than a year of running it and leaving it in the tank. No other damage whatsoever. I'm pretty sure that GM's senders are built better, since it seems like Chrysler cheaps out on all kinds of things like that.

What in your tune did you change from gasolein to e85? Stock fuel filter still? Any reccomendations

esteinmaier

Dark Helmet
Jun 17, 2008
I ran a couple tanks of it through first to let the filter fill up with the varnish sludge. That way I didn't clog up a perfectly good filter.

The tune (When I was on the stock ECU but using fuel pressure for management) was similar, just scaled up for more fuel. Of course, once I did standalone, I was able to crank the hell out of the timing to actually make tons more power too. Let me tell you, it was sweet to run a second and a half faster than any other stock motor NGC neon had ever done before.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info