2003 Mitsu Eclipse GT Timing Belt Woes

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I'll be doing a Compression test on Weds on the thing,

Basically its a GT/V6 automatic eclipse, the timing belt is still in one piece, albeit it has hunks missing out of the back of it, and was certainly original (120K on the car)

It was being driven down the road and it made a loud/unpleasant sound from the engine and it died, was towed home.

Sounds un-happy when its being turned over, and the belt is visibly loose.

Anyone know if these motors are interference or not? and if-so, I assume a compression test would confirm the valves are toast? If not, what should I do to confirm?

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
loud unpleasant noises usually means valves getting slammed. i wouldnt bother with a compression test. the valves arent opening and closing, you wont have compression regardless of the condition of the heads.
i worked on an 04 accord v6 that had the timing belt go on it while the guy was driving. every valve was trashed, car only had 50k miles on it too.

RebelGTP

Coyote Bus Lines
Jul 16, 2008
Rockford
If the driver wasn't on the gas, there may be hope...

I've been told that the 3.5L in my Intrepid is an interference engine. The timing belt tensioner bolt snapped while coasting, engine checked out when new tensioner bolt and pulley was put in. Engine runs as normal...

Otherwise, I'd say it's fucked...

Mickey

Look at those low rates!
Feb 13, 2008
Normal, IL
Real Name
Mickey Cole
Probably junk... Although I also have the same experience with my old Civic. The tensioner let go and the motor was fine after it was re timed and all the parts were replaced. Except for the shitty head gasket which eventually blew entirely. After that was replaced the engine ran as good as new.

James

TCG Elite Member
Jan 18, 2008
I would stop trying to turn it over in the hopes it will fix itself.
Get the crank to TDC and see if all the timing marks line up.
Hopefully the tensioner let go and chewed up the belt, but the cams didn't skip any teeth.
Check the tensioner.
Turn the crank by hand many revolutions to feel for any binding/weird resistance.
If everything turns o.k. and the timing marks are all still lined up then go for a compression test.

Then pray, lol.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I would stop trying to turn it over in the hopes it will fix itself.
Get the crank to TDC and see if all the timing marks line up.
Hopefully the tensioner let go and chewed up the belt, but the cams didn't skip any teeth.
Check the tensioner.
Turn the crank by hand many revolutions to feel for any binding/weird resistance.
If everything turns o.k. and the timing marks are all still lined up then go for a compression test.

Then pray, lol.

I just had him bump the starter to see how bad it was since he had already tried re-starting it several times before anyways...

ehhh, i think ima tell him Ill pass on trying to 'fix' it, and just offer him $ for it, or offer a labor $ to swap motors.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info