Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
http://jalopnik.com/5264270/ecoboost-goes-drag-ford-flex-lincoln-mks-hit-the-strip

:rofl:
The unassumingly Lincoln then proceeded to return a 14.1 second quarter mile with a trap speed of 104.4 MPH. When we parked, there were quite a few more people interested in what was under the hood. Ours wasn't even the fastest time of the evening. Later in the evening, when the temperature had dropped and the cars had cooled down, former Jalopnik hack and Car & Driver man about town Mike Austin managed a 13.9 second run at 104 MPH. Yes, that's right — you can buy a 13 second Lincoln.

But what about that EcoBoost Flex? Well, despite all our ribbing and negotiating, Ford wouldn't let us behind the wheel, but that didn't stop them from having a good 'ole time of it. Would you believe the Flex, with all of it's 4500 lbs of heft and the aerodynamics of a brick wall managed a 14.5 second run at 98 MPH? Turns out 355 HP and a torque curve as flat as Iowa can really wake up a car's performance.

Here's the thing about both of these cars — they were running consistently all night long. If you want to be a bracket racing hero and take the kids out to soccer practice the next day, the Flex will do 14.5 s at 95 to 98 MPH run after run after run. Same with the MKS, speeds were in the 103 to 104 MPH range and we picked up 1/10 of a second for each 5 degrees the temperature dropped, 14.1 to 13.9 as the night grew cooler.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I was at Ford for the unveiling of the SHO... My best buddy is owner of bringbackthesho.com...

That said, 13.9 is far from impressive. That's what you get when you slide this drivetrain into a 4100lb car. You get big hp/ torque numbers but not so impressive times.

14.1 may as well be a 15 second pass these days because that's not going to compete G8 or the SRT8s of the world... It's not even going to compete with the Hemi powered cars really.

Geez why do all of these cars have to get so "fat"? The Taurus isn't the same car it was in the mid 90's. It's much larger. The Fusion is what this engine should have found it's way into.

Now, turn up the boost and throw on some larger turbos and we'll see what happens. You will need those larger turbos though... The stock ones are about as big as your fist.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
The Hemi powered cars are only running low 14's last time I saw....I mean there are some out there in the high 13's stock, but they have similar power and weight numbers as the SHO.

As for the weight, thank our wonderful government and the tree-huggers for making our cars "safer". It's all body paneling, reinforced side-impact, side airbags, etc etc etc. All the cars have been steadily increasing in size and weight. It seems pretty hard-pressed these days to find a car that has a curb weight of under 3000 pounds.

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
I was at Ford for the unveiling of the SHO... My best buddy is owner of bringbackthesho.com...

That said, 13.9 is far from impressive. That's what you get when you slide this drivetrain into a 4100lb car. You get big hp/ torque numbers but not so impressive times.

14.1 may as well be a 15 second pass these days because that's not going to compete G8 or the SRT8s of the world... It's not even going to compete with the Hemi powered cars really.

Geez why do all of these cars have to get so "fat"? The Taurus isn't the same car it was in the mid 90's. It's much larger. The Fusion is what this engine should have found it's way into.

Now, turn up the boost and throw on some larger turbos and we'll see what happens. You will need those larger turbos though... The stock ones are about as big as your fist.

So it wont compete with the G8s that aren't going to be made anymore or the Hemis that are a ass hairs away from not being made anymore?

I say skip the fusion for now and put that Ecoboost/AWD powertrain into the focus. Fecobocus?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info