Top not working...

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
So my top stopped working all together. It's been struggling recently and now just won't do anything. I hear the motor going when i push the switch, but nothin. AND I smell fluid...

And when it was struggling, I think one side cylinder's had stopped working as it was the passenger side would lead going up and down... So I think I stressed out the other cylinder that something gave, luckily not the motor b/c i can hear that going. maybe just a line/fitting?

So my question is, where is all this stuff located in my car???? and how do i get to it?

TIA.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
pull the rear seat most likley....either the seals blew in the cylinders....or the pump is shot...good luck

i manually put the top down today and was looking down the side wells as i was slowly moving it and I could hear the atf coming out of the driver side cylinder... f me.

no warranty.

Anyone want to make a $100 + beer and cost of parts?

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
well had one shop look at it and tell me the driver side cylinder mounting bracket is missing, so the cylinder wasn't leveraging on anything, but just moving itself up and down. They didn't know where the atf was coming from though and quoted me upwards of $800 to fix! I said no thanks as the local ford dealership had quoted that it would be a little over $300 so i went back there and left the car today.

Got a call from them telling me that they tore apart the rear seating and side plastic panel and that they found the bracket and nut down below and put it back on, but the bad part was the hydraulic line had sprung a leak at the crimp connection at the bottom of the lift cylinder. so he told me they have to replace that and that it runs from one side to another and it was going to be another $300 to take apart the other side to get to that cylinder. I said really as you just remove 1 panel and the speaker housing since the seats were already out... he said well... (and enter BS here...)

So I said stop work and leave it as-is and im going to pick it up today. he said ok.

we take it back to my garage and just cut the hydraulic line right at the leak, go to ACE and get a new fitting and compression connector and ATF. $3.72 w/ my bud's employee discount. go back and put it new fitting, refill the reservoir, and the top works like new again. put car all back together and was all done within 1 1/2 hours and with running across town to ACE...

So im glad this is fixed and only cost me $325 in the end, but I'm never going back to dealerships for anything that I have to pay for...

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
well had one shop look at it and tell me the driver side cylinder mounting bracket is missing, so the cylinder wasn't leveraging on anything, but just moving itself up and down. They didn't know where the atf was coming from though and quoted me upwards of $800 to fix! I said no thanks as the local ford dealership had quoted that it would be a little over $300 so i went back there and left the car today.

Got a call from them telling me that they tore apart the rear seating and side plastic panel and that they found the bracket and nut down below and put it back on, but the bad part was the hydraulic line had sprung a leak at the crimp connection at the bottom of the lift cylinder. so he told me they have to replace that and that it runs from one side to another and it was going to be another $300 to take apart the other side to get to that cylinder. I said really as you just remove 1 panel and the speaker housing since the seats were already out... he said well... (and enter BS here...)

So I said stop work and leave it as-is and im going to pick it up today. he said ok.

we take it back to my garage and just cut the hydraulic line right at the leak, go to ACE and get a new fitting and compression connector and ATF. $3.72 w/ my bud's employee discount. go back and put it new fitting, refill the reservoir, and the top works like new again. put car all back together and was all done within 1 1/2 hours and with running across town to ACE...

So im glad this is fixed and only cost me $325 in the end, but I'm never going back to dealerships for anything that I have to pay for...

you shoulda told me when you were working on it after you texted me... i would have stopped by after work!

glad to hear its fixed again and at least it didnt cost 800... yikes

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info