northstar v8 question

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
i'm looking at lower mileage 2004 and 2005 Bonneville GXP's alongside the 2004 and 2005 Impala.

The reason for that is that I really seriously miss my Bonneville, the GXP is a classy looking car, and there are some features the W-Body Impala does not have, that the GXP / Bonneville line in general does..

- nicer interior.. i'm sure you'd agree.

2004bonnevilleint.jpg

versus..

04impala_ss_7.jpg

- bigger wheels standard
- bigger bakes standard
- stability control standard
- electronic suspension control / ride attitude adjustment
- heads up display
- bose sound system

that said, i've heard mixed good and bad about the northstar engine. how reliable are they from 20-30k miles to 100-120k miles?

i've missed my bonneville since i got rid of it and always loved the 04/05 gxp.. liked how the two i drove rhode too and drove. i just don't know much about the northstar, hoping someone can shed some light my way on that..

thanks.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
reliability depends on how well you maintain vs. how much you abuse it.
not with the N*

i've had 03's that needed skirt gaskets at 75k....its a 12+hr repair...and it'll leak yet again...i just tell em to check the oil every gas fillup.... you can pay for alot of oil before you come near the cost of the repair...

as to the 80e....seen plenty of OE 80's go over 200k

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
I thought they had the same motor as the GP gxp's? no northstar...

Grand Prix GXP was the LS4 5.3L , Bonneville GXP Was the LD8 4.6L

If it comes with the 4T80E( it think the bonnie's do) you are a head of the game if you want to make it faster as that trans is way stronger than the 4t65e could ever be
The GXP in 2004 and 2005 came with the 4T80E. The SE / SLE (L36) from 2000 to 2005 was the 4T65E. The SSEi (L67) from 2000 to 2003 was 4T65E-HD

look carefully at the skirt gasket....i'm just sayin

besides when the N* blows you can drop an L67/harness in it...ultimate reliability and durability
the what ?

32vMonte

Car is broke
Dec 3, 2008
not with the N*

i've had 03's that needed skirt gaskets at 75k....its a 12+hr repair...and it'll leak yet again...i just tell em to check the oil every gas fillup.... you can pay for alot of oil before you come near the cost of the repair...

as to the 80e....seen plenty of OE 80's go over 200k

Are you talking about the half case seal??

If so then yes they tend to leak on the 94-99 N*'s more than the newer ones.

The newer generation N*, which the gxp has in it has a revised gasket design I believe. Really if that gasket goes it needs to be replaced with an RTV like sealant. There is a GM tech guy on cadillac forums that says they don't use oil pan gaskets or half case seals on there repair jobs.

They use this ridiculously thick RTV type sealant and they don't leak again.

Anyway back on to your question, I think the northstar is a great motor. All the ones that come in for an oil change where I work have 100-200K on them with little nothing being done to them. I haven't seen too many newer generation N*'s leaking they are always dry.

All I would suggest is change the oil always on time, and change the DEATH-COOL every year. That junk ass coolant ain't good for more than 2 years. Not changing coolant religiously in the N*=possible bad headgasket issue down the road.

32vMonte

Car is broke
Dec 3, 2008
I would. It's that corrosion factor. Dex cool likes to gum up very easily. Not sure why but I see it all day long with only 50,000 miles and 2-3 years on the coolant. It's usually recommended for 6 years/150K I believe. By then it ought to be brown sludge at the rate it turns to junk.

Anyone ever notice how dex is oily?

32vMonte

Car is broke
Dec 3, 2008
i dont like n*s... mine used a quart of oil every 1k miles... easily...

every time i jumped on the gas, it looked like a diesel truck puffing black smoke...

they are notttt cheap to work on either...

sools why not find a supercharged ssei or a park avenue ultra?

I have heard that story plenty about the oil consumption. Seems to be on the older N*'s. A good run In 2nd at about 40 all the way up to redline and back down to 40 weekly cuts that 1qt./1000m. literally in half. It has been tested and it would show. That is if your motor ain't junk. All that does is seat the rings and loosen up carbon build up.

They aren't cheap if a shop does the work. If you do any of your own work it's the same price as any other motors. Relatively cheap. I know because I'm rebuilding now. :eek3:

Smoke

Addict
Feb 11, 2009
Id vote nay on the GXP. Its a nice car, but IMO a Bonnevilles steering feel is too disconnected for my taste, and the Northstar is a pain to work on-have fun changing spark plugs and the water pump with that motor. My mechanics's 1997 Aurora is on blocks cause the trans failed, and before that happend his car would smoke like a bus at WOT.

Get a supercharged SSEI ,or look at GP GXP's-theyre a good price right now IIRC.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I have heard that story plenty about the oil consumption. Seems to be on the older N*'s. A good run In 2nd at about 40 all the way up to redline and back down to 40 weekly cuts that 1qt./1000m. literally in half. It has been tested and it would show. That is if your motor ain't junk. All that does is seat the rings and loosen up carbon build up.

They aren't cheap if a shop does the work. If you do any of your own work it's the same price as any other motors. Relatively cheap. I know because I'm rebuilding now. :eek3:

mine was a 2002.

my buddies who are gm techs all say the same... that motor scares me .

N* can take good abuse, but they use oil, about a quart every 2k. You wont be able to mod the engine however as the PCM is locked down.

And yea, you'll probably have to do the "italian tuneup" every once in a while:
http://cadillacforums.com/cadillac-tech.html#noil

Personally id just get the L67 but thats just me, as I wont touch an engine if I cant play with it.

exxxxxxxxactly.

I vote none of the above.

i almost agree here... but a park ave would be pimp for sools. the new body style.

+1 they are junk

first time i have agreed with you i think. :h5:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info