Thermostat install

Runtz52

Runs like a turtle with downs syndrome
Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
Well i just got a new thermostat for my pacer, im not sure what one is in there but this motor get REAL hot REAL quick, my fans come on at 185 degress, that happens in about 7-10 mins at idle, i dont know what thermostat is in there so i went with the coolest one i could find which is 160 degrees, what i need to know is what i need to do to change it, about how much coolant do i need to drain, my system is 18 qts FWIW, and i dont know if any u have any experience with the Permatex High Temp Silicone Gasket maker, i cant find a gasket for this and i dont have a need for a bulk gasket material but may go that route if i need to, any help is greatly apprecciated.

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
Generally you only lose a quart or so when changing the thermostat. Basically what's in the upper hose and a little off the top of the radiator. Personally I don't recommend using just the permatex as a gasket. It will work fine for a while but once it ages a little the heat and pressure in the cooling system will cause small leaks. I have a bunch of bulk gasket material including a rubber coated sheet for thermostat's and waterpumps. I prefer Indian Head gasket sealer when I change gaskets that require a sealer.

Odds are someone installed a 195* thermostat. Even though the fan comes on, Does the car seem to overheat?? If not then just change the thermostat.

Runtz52

Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
ive read that the AMC motors average around 195 degrees no matter what they have in the cooling system, its never overheated as long as im at a decent rate of speed, when i went to RT 66, i had to wait in stop and go traffic for about 20 min and it sputtered and died, i called my dad told him what happened and said it vapor locked got it running later but that scared me. I just want to change the stat cuz it heats up so quicklyi drove about 3 blocks from my buddies hous to mine and it went up to 190. and thats good i should only lose about a quart, my brother the "mechanic" told me i was gonna lose 2 gallons. thanks a lot orief i will go look for some bulk material.

Runtz52

Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
got electric fans that come on with the temp, about 185ish, and i would love to get a new radiator but there isnt really too many aftermarket radiators for this beast haha, the guy i bought it from says the one thats in there is the biggest he could find so not much luck, plus AMC motors are notorious for getting hot real quick, the thermostat swap should do the trick, the guys ive read running 185 thermostats never get over 200 degrees, so a 160 should do work

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
You know there are a few places that could build you a custom radiator. Just give them the size (L,W,H) and they could build a nice 4 or 5 core radiator. While it may cost a little, It will do the job. The other thing is you can setup a remote oil filter and add in an oil cooler as well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Runtz52
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list