Hard launch.... and..... BOOM!!!!

c5z06speedjon

Addict
Jan 21, 2008
I was out with my friend and i came out hard out of a light. launched on my street tires, and Car just made a loud bang noise rolled and would not move under its own power. I go to put it in any gear and release the clutch and the car will not die on me. Its as if the car is constantly in neutral. Starts and runs fine. So i checked for fluid leaking from the rear diff, and it did not crack the rear diff. Rear diff case is intact and the clutch and shifter feel normal.
Took it to straightline and they took some pics.... I broke the output shaft from the trans to the rear diff... Dayum Textralia Clutch grabbing too hard!!!!
47637460d1240927820-hard-launch-and-boom-jontrans-005.jpg

47637459d1240927820-hard-launch-and-boom-jontrans-004.jpg

c5z06speedjon

Addict
Jan 21, 2008
Junk! Are you just going to replace the stuff with OEM again?

no both the rear and trans are being sent to RPM transmissions in indiana today...I dont want to have to spend more than i should with money being really tight these days, but i dont wanna break something that i could of upgraded now when they got it all apart. What i am doing for sure before they have even received my trans/diff is replacing the output shaft to the heavy duty one with 30 spline also the rear diff will be accepting the larger output shaft, cause thats whats visually broken.
I also am not changing the gear at all in either, my car finishes perfect in the 1/4 and i love how the gearing is for the street as well. i do not plan on adding much if anything else as far as power goes so no need to go crazy, once they receive it, and tear both of them down, they are gonna call straightline and i will go from there and see what they recommend for my power level as far as additional upgrades.

c5z06speedjon

Addict
Jan 21, 2008
Its my textralia clutch i just put in it like maybe 2,000 miles ago that did it, car is only making 420 to the wheels on a mustang dyno. I never get any wheel hop, so i did not think it would be the axles or a half shaft. That new clutch grabs like a son of a bitch!!!

So i talked to Nick from straightline performance and he had talked to the guys at RPM transmissions and they told him to tell me i have one of three options without looking at the trans and rear diff.
1. Send the trans and rear diff to them to have them inspect them and go with reusable stock stuff that they have at their shop
2. Send the trans and rear diff to them to have them inspect them and go with a hardened output shaft with the 30 spline and to match the rear for the upgraded 30 spline.
3. Send my trans and rear diff to them and just do a core exchange and go crazy and modify the hell out of my drive train so its bullet proof!

I talked with nick and i agreed with him option two seems to be best, just fix what needs fixing and upgrade the part i broke, since that is the weakest link in the car, and im not planning on going nuts with this car and gonna be making in upwards of 600 to the wheels ever. I think with the power im making, i should be ok with this option. If anything else is broke internally on the trans or rear diff. i will have to make my decision to either upgrade or replace what needs to be replaced. And take into account what rpms' recommendations are when they disassemble the rear diff and trans.

Thanks again to the guys at straightline for the great customer service! Hopefully everything works out

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
I do believe I may have noticed this car @ StraightLine :D

Sucks that you broke. If you popped it on the street, you're going to want to upgrade. What happens when you take it to the track and actually have some decent traction?

This is the part I don't understand. The car has been run at the track MANY times, has pulled 1.6X 60 foots I believe with no rear end problems. All of a sudden the rear blows with street tires on north avenue??? Shit happens I suppose, just would have expected this at the track, not the street.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info