Why Pontiac?

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Its my understanding that GM is dumping Pontiac and keeping Buick and GMC. Does anyone know why this decision? It seems very silly to keep Buick and even more silly to keep GMC.

Buicks not only are expensive now, but are really advanced, Grandpa/grandma does not want that shit. Grandpa/Grandma wants cheap simple cars with a touch of luxury, like Buick once was. SUV's are useless for these people. Does GM really need to keep this 3 car brand? I mean they already have Caddy.

GMC is nothing but a expensive rebadged Chevy to me. You can probably buy any car they have in Chevy form. This does not make sence either, why have two brands with exactly the same cars? Hell they even look the same. SUV sales have hit rock bottom is is really good to have brand that sells pretty much all SUV's?

Pontiac has a very good deverse lineup. They have the small economical cars (G3, Vibe), the midsize coupes, sedans, and convertibles (G6) the performance sedan (G8) the sports car (Solstace) and the SUV (Torrent). They all look pretty decent also. Although some are rebadges they don't look exactly like the Chevy counter part. Not to mention the history behind pontiac. What can you say about the history of Buick or GMC? The only car of real importance I would say is the GN or maybe the 70's GS, but that's just a rebadged Chevy anyway.

I'm no financial adviser but this decision from GM to ban Pontiac seems retarded and im not just saying this because I drive one.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
the g8 isnt selling well....none of the pontiacs are for that matter. pontiac has been bleeding for quite awhile. buick isnt gonna get cut b/c its a cash cow overseas and people still buy them over here...and americans still love their suvs so theyre gonna go to chevy and gmc over pontiac for their gas guzzler fix

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
If they dropped Buick, it would certainly effect markets around the globe, it shouldnt but we all know it would. Just like if VW stopped making Audi's in europe, sales here would certainly drop off.

Dropping pontiac only is US prone. Yea its gonna cost holden in the land down under, but most general car buys dont know that pontiac and holden are sharing models

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Pontiac sales came in 3rd last year, but their profit margins were lower than the other brands, so financially they dont make sense to keep in GM's eyes. I dont understand keeping GMC either, the only benefit's they have are better powertrain options, but that can be merged with Chevy. Keep pontiac for the driving enthusiast.

Renesis07

Forum Sponsor
Mar 10, 2009
Mundelein IL
Pontiac sales came in 3rd last year, but their profit margins were lower than the other brands, so financially they dont make sense to keep in GM's eyes. I dont understand keeping GMC either, the only benefit's they have are better powertrain options, but that can be merged with Chevy. Keep pontiac for the driving enthusiast.

What car does pontiac offer aside from the G8 GXP & Solstice that is truly a drivers car that would financially make sense to continue to mass produce ? :picard:

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
Buick is very popular oversea's. But the funny thing is here there are only 3 models (two cars and one SUV) But oversea's they are Opal's and Dawoo's with Buick logo's. The Buick Regal is an Opal.

Why they just don't ditch the Buick name in the U.S. is beyond me. Holden is GM in Austrailia, why not keep Buick as GM in the Far East? Pontiac could be even more unique if they use more Holden versions of cars. That way the cars would not have any "clones" in the U.S. The G8, Solstice, and Vibe could be a good starting point. Get the Holden Statesman as the new Bonneville (B8??), the Calais as the new GTO, and reconsider the G8-ST.

As for GMC, The reason they are keeping it is because of the commercial truck line. The Medium Duty line is the #1 selling MD truck in the U.S. as well as it is very popular oversea's

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
title-big.jpg

is better than....

08_Chevrolet_Silverado_02.jpg

2006_GMC_Sierra1500_ext_1.jpg

is better than...

Chevrolet-Silverado_2004_800x600_wallpaper_05.jpg

6150_211297196947735688afa1a.jpg

is better than...

1971cheyennepkup102205.jpg

i could go all day.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
GMC is their second top selling brand right behind chevy, and they are only keeping the 4 that have high profit margins.....I guess our pontiacs were more expensive to make...... there are reports of the G8 being made as a Police car, and in the article, a Holden rep. mentions the G8 staying on as a chevy model as a strong possibility

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Pontiac killing the names really did them in. Who knows WTF a G5 is?? Everyone knows Sunfire. So on and so forth. Nothing "exciting" has come from Pontiac as of late sans 2 cars. At the turn of the century, you had the redesigned Grand Prix kicking Ford Toreass all over the place, The redesigned Grand Am, updated Firebird, redesigned Bonne. That is where Pontiac was golden IMO.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info