01 GP. ABS and Steering problems

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
When the car is at idle speed (1-10 MPH) the car will make a funny noise. Sometimes the ABS and TCS OFF light comes on (Used to always be on then went away :dunno: )

At the low speeds the car will make a "Durrrrrrrrrrrr" noise and you can feel the steering tighten up. Almost as if the tires were rubbing against something (they are not)

It will do it most when turning but it sometimes continues after a turn is made at a slow speed. Durring this "Duuuurrrrrrrr" noise the brake pedal will act as if there is slipping going on and start to pulse.

This is really annoying. Prolly some sensor going out of wak. Any ideas?

majikninja37

Feb 19, 2009
I disagree. It sounds like something with the ABS. When you start driving the car, the system checks itself. Usually it is at the very beginning of driving and lasts a couple of seconds, hence the 1-10 mph. What you are describing tells me that the system keeps checking itself over and over again. It would be best to take it in and get the brakes inspected because the hard steering is probably the wheels locking up from the brakes.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
I disagree. It sounds like something with the ABS. When you start driving the car, the system checks itself. Usually it is at the very beginning of driving and lasts a couple of seconds, hence the 1-10 mph. What you are describing tells me that the system keeps checking itself over and over again. It would be best to take it in and get the brakes inspected because the hard steering is probably the wheels locking up from the brakes.

The brakes do a self test, yes. If a hub is faulty the system thinks it is supposed to be engaging the ABS/Trac system which its doing due to the faulty hub transmitting the wrong info (speed) to the ABS computer, THEN when the system realizes something is wrong, it turns off the ABS/Trac system as well as magnasteer (hence stiff steering). You're right though, it is something with the ABS.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info