Vac Leak

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
I know i have one somewhere but am having problems locating it. Tried the soap and water watching for it to fizz, and to no avail nothing. Replacing IM gasket friday just at the pure possibility it may be distorted a bit. Any other helpful advice? I can visibly watch my boost gauge fluxuate indicating the leak..............

Soap and water won't "fiz" on a vac leak, they would get sucked in, Use brake cleaner, and when you hit a spot that the idle changes, that's where you're vacuum leak is..... there are other methods as well.....

Soapy water is for finding air pressure leaks, as in air leaking out

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
you know what i mean:rofl: its 1130 i have been up since 5am. anywho i will go over it all again with a fine tooth comb and update friday with findings and after new gaskets go on

Yeah, but vac lines and fittings are the most common, don't forget to check the boost bypass valve (you SS is supercharged correct?)

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I know i have one somewhere but am having problems locating it. Tried the soap and water watching for it to fizz, and to no avail nothing. Replacing IM gasket friday just at the pure possibility it may be distorted a bit. Any other helpful advice? I can visibly watch my boost gauge fluxuate indicating the leak..............
a general plenum vacum leak usually holds a fairly steady low vacum condition...a fluctuating vac reading usually indicates a bad valve sealing issue on one or more cylinders or a vac leak on one runner (ie injector seal leaking)

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
a general plenum vacum leak usually holds a fairly steady low vacum condition...a fluctuating vac reading usually indicates a bad valve sealing issue on one or more cylinders or a vac leak on one runner (ie injector seal leaking)

Or a vac line that goes to a port that sees manly one cylinder

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
true but most manufacturers know of the fluctuations and so most vac lines are at the common plenum area to eliminate pulsation....

Oh I'm not arguing with you james, but I've seen where a vac nipple ism it would read pretty much on one cylinder only......Sometimes space limitations force vac hookups to be put in bad spots

07%202.0L%20I4%20LSJ%20COB%20LoR.jpg

Not much choice, if the vac port is on one end or the other, under vac it will majorly read the cylinder on that end(not only that cylinder, but enough isolation to cause pulsations)

Edit, But I only see one vac nipple though :dunno:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info