Severe vibration in my Corolla!!!

Theautoguy

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2007
Machesney Park, IL
2007 Toyota Corolla, automatic with 37,000 miles…

So here’s the situation, the car starts vibrating at 55mph and starts shaking just before 65mph and smoothes out at just before 75 mph. Here’s the kicker, it only happens under load, it’s more violent with more gas pedal; cruising at speed, its barely noticeable and its altogether gone while decelerating.

Now this shaking is in the front end but does not pass through the steering wheel. It started a month ago and has gotten progressively worse. Also, it is independent of RPM too.

Before anyone replies, IT IS NOT THE TIRES OR RIMS! They have been rotated and its still there so then I had them balanced and the rims aren’t bent. Further, I took it to a shop out here and we could not find any loose or bent suspension, the axles look good and the motor mounts all look fine; no sagging, warpage or tears.

I’m hoping someone may have some magical answer hear.

Can motor mount be bad even though it looks absolutely fine?
Can an axle shaft be bad and appear fine?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
i've had a few toyota's that lost compression in one or more cylinders from valveseat leaks and ringseal

do an engine hot compression test with the TB wedged open i'd bet one has pretty low compression.

as fer the motor mounts have a friend hop in the car and with the parking brake locked have them hold the brakes and shift into reverse have him/her hold the idle up to 1500-2000 rpm and shift it from R to Drive quickly and look for massive engine movement. the Tq link dogbone is sometimes a problem (if they still have em on the 07's)

check the movment first but i'd start witht he compression test right after that!

Theautoguy

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2007
Machesney Park, IL
An alignment would transfer the vibration through the steering wheel and there is none.

I did replace the iridium spark plugs with standard platinum plugs, could this have caused something like this? However, if it were an engine issue I would guess it would show up at a more specific engine rpm and load independant of the speed of the car. As it is, this only happens between 60 and 70 mph.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
An alignment would transfer the vibration through the steering wheel and there is none.

I did replace the iridium spark plugs with standard platinum plugs, could this have caused something like this? However, if it were an engine issue I would guess it would show up at a more specific engine rpm and load independant of the speed of the car. As it is, this only happens between 60 and 70 mph.

i just had a thought after rereading yer original post...did this satrt happening after you did the plug change? platinum vs iridium shouldnt make much of a difference (so this 07 is at or near 100K miles right?)

60to 70 mph in 4th gear is a high load situation for sure so there's a chance your experiencing a missfire or a partial missfire. pull the CPP units and look for any carbon tracking on the boots, maybe even pull the plugs back out and check the porcelin for the same (much more obvious)

is the fuel system returnless? i've had a rash of clogged injectors on returnless cars, so thats a possibility but maybe start with the plugs esp if this happened after switching them out...

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
It seems a little worse when it's hot.

The frequency of the vibration does not change if the converter unlocks or if the trans drops a gear; which leads me to think axle/wheel something or other.

yeah your likely right...wheel speed related vibrations typically show up at two different speeds.
with the car in the air it might not be a bad idea to put a dial indicator in the middle of the axle shaft and spin it through a revolution to see if it's bent....i dont know if the newer toyota's have em but alot of times the rubber damper near the middle of the axle shaft might be bad....

also if the tires were replaced with cheapo tires recently the vibration may not be from wheel imbalance it might be related to a stiff section of sidewall where the sidwall cord ply's overlap (you will generally see a wrather pronounced dimple in the sidewall at the overlap).... i have seen this more than a few times esp on smaller cars with lightweight components...there are tire places that have tire balancers that also check for this by way of a roller that presses against the tire as it spins...the same tires installed on a heavier vehicle will not experience the vibration from a stiff sidewall section...

Theautoguy

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2007
Machesney Park, IL
If it were the tires or rims the vibration would have shifted from the front to the rear of the car when I rotated them. I brought it to abuddy at Discount tire and they rebalanced them. We both checked for any slipped belts or other anomolies and didn't find anything.

I talked to the service tech at the dealership this morning. Between him, you all and my observances, I'm thinking an axle issue. The long passenger side axxle does have the rubber damper on it but the dealer said it shouldn't be that since the vibration goes away at a higher speed. So my final guess is going to be either a bent axle or a bad inner joint.

I gave up and am swinging by the dealer in the morning for them to take a look at it. I'll let you all know what it is when we find it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info