Welding

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Get the welder's handbook before you start. Lot's of good info in there. I started with brazing before welding, if you haven't even done that I wouldn't attempt it. There are a few little prep things you'll need to do to ensure good penetration. Welding is not hard to do, just takes practice and a little knowlege of metal.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Cheese is good too tho, each to their own.

Seriously tho, welding isn't rocket science. Practice does make perfect though. Best thing I can suggest is to find practice material to get your feed rate and voltage setup correctly on the TEST metal before you go to town on what you're working with. The charts don't always get the best results.

Also, the best welding tip I've learned first hand is this: a heavy extension cord makes all the difference in your welding!

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
i bought my first welder when i was 18 or 19 and i now have 4! my exhaust rig (first unit i bought) is a 135amp mig with two 40cuft bottles, second was a 150amp 2cycle gas power stick/scratch tig/generator, third was a miller 250amp stick/tig unit, and my newest is a low hour miller syncrowave 300 stick/tig/spoolgun (375 amps)

then you can be like me....upgrading the house to 200amp service just so you can use yer toys at WOT lol

surface prep is number one, and your teqnique will vary for your vertical and hanging welds....

prectice, practice, practice

praqctice some more.... been welding for 12 years and i'm still learning shit

btw fuck maganese lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info