Is this going to go over well...

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Serious talk... not for us car people, but for normal people...

we are talking about the new nissan cube in my marketing research class...

i keep saying that they are just white noise with vehicles like the element, xb, hhr, pt cruiser, so on and so forth...

marketing people in my class believe that since they are marketing it as a vehicle and not a car at all... its going to go well

i think not.

what do you think... actual constructive posts... i know thats hard... but try.

www.nissanusa.com/cube/

Mickey

Look at those low rates!
Feb 13, 2008
Normal, IL
Real Name
Mickey Cole
I think the ship has sailed on that style of vehicle. They are cheap though. However, the market is garbage and people aren't spending. I know nothing about marketing so I don't have a lot to offer. We are the main demographic they're looking to sell to and I wouldn't buy it. My .02

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I think it might do well. There seems to be this crazy obsession with the japanese culture, and everything that they like. I think that if their marketing blitz goes well, that it could be a success. But as Mickey has already pointed out, not a lot of cars are selling, and this may not be a time to try it out. So I guess that I would say this, if done right, in the right market, the car could go well. (that doesn't mean that I like the car in the least, I for one think its ugly and worthless, but that's my .02 as well)

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
These types of vehicles are extremely utilitarian and it's hard to find more versatility for the money. The box shape is extremely space efficient but obviously a little awkward to look at. The Scion's problem is that it's not fuel efficient while the new Cube and Soul are better. The Scion is also larger and more expensive than the Soul and Cube.

Unfortunately, sometimes these car's true purpose gets lost in the marketing bullshit (no offense, KJ) and some cars are advertised as completely different than their actual use. Take the Venza, which Toyota is marketing to stylish 30-somethings out for a night on the town, while, in fact, it's a perfectly suitable family car.

IMO, the Soul has the ability to appeal to a wider range of people because it looks more like a traditional small SUV compared to a funky, A-symmetrical clown car like the Cube. And the xB is just plain ugly.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
These types of vehicles are extremely utilitarian and it's hard to find more versatility for the money. The box shape is extremely space efficient but obviously a little awkward to look at. The Scion's problem is that it's not fuel efficient while the new Cube and Soul are better. The Scion is also larger and more expensive than the Soul and Cube.

Unfortunately, sometimes these car's true purpose gets lost in the marketing bullshit (no offense, KJ) and some cars are advertised as completely different than their actual use. Take the Venza, which Toyota is marketing to stylish 30-somethings out for a night on the town, while, in fact, it's a perfectly suitable family car.

IMO, the Soul has the ability to appeal to a wider range of people because it looks more like a traditional small SUV compared to a funky, A-symmetrical clown car like the Cube. And the xB is just plain ugly.

none taken at all. i was saying that they are marketing it horrendously to my class... they are concentrating on trying to sell it as a internet accessory and not a car... which my teacher told us... and on their website, its all trying to be as customizable as a computers background, or cell phones ring tone... thats their marketing plan.. :hsugh:

motortrend did a comparo between the soul, cube, and xb... and i was dumbfounded when i read that the xb got 21 mpg for the entire testing period...

xb gets not good gas mileage for what it is IMO... cept it said it went 16.4... which for a 150hp 3100lb toaster isnt horrible...

Smoke

Addict
Feb 11, 2009
none taken at all. i was saying that they are marketing it horrendously to my class... they are concentrating on trying to sell it as a internet accessory and not a car... which my teacher told us... and on their website, its all trying to be as customizable as a computers background, or cell phones ring tone... thats their marketing plan.. :hsugh:

motortrend did a comparo between the soul, cube, and xb... and i was dumbfounded when i read that the xb got 21 mpg for the entire testing period...

xb gets not good gas mileage for what it is IMO... cept it said it went 16.4... which for a 150hp 3100lb toaster isnt horrible...

You have to admit, the average joe or chick whos looking at these cars know absolutely jack about how cars work. All of us here can name 6 cars that go faster, look better, and get the same gas milage-but we're the exception.

For everyone else, they'll buy into the hype hook,line, and sinker.Its the same reason the company that makes tornado air-circulators is still in business, because ignorance and lies sell cars.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
one of my marketing classes this semester had a group project of working with nissan and creating a marketing campaign for it in chicago. I don't think they are really going to make it, but more so keep it a publicity stunt for nissan. Like you said, it's been in japan since 98... It keeps nissan in da head...

and i just saw a commercial for that kia with the rats, I lol'd and was quite surprised with its looks...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info