Options for a Second Car.

What second car should I buy

• Total voters

Smoke

Addict
Feb 11, 2009
Ive gots some plans for my GA that will involve it needing downtime for some engine mods ive got planned, so which of these cars would make good second cars.

I just need something thats decently reliable and wont cost a ton to run -or become a project itself.

Heres the list:

2000+ non-supercharged Bonneville SLE.
1997+ Dodge Avenger V6
1998 Olds intrigue 3.8
1999 Grand Am GT v6.
2000 Dodge Stratus 2dr V6

Smoke

Addict
Feb 11, 2009
Don't waste money on a Grand AM. Sell the car and buy something worth while to mod.

I would get something else to mod and DD the GA you already have...

Opinions noted and ignored.

:rofl:

Let me be clear guys-im not trading my GA for another car, so just deal.
I pay the bills, so I decide whether its worth modding or not.

For what its worth,Im planning on getting head work done, the balance shafts removed with machine work done for an upgraded oil pump and new bearing/pistons. Should be a nice little motor when its all done-but its gonna take time.

I didnt think about a Honda -a '98 Accord would be just right.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
and some would say the same about a grand prix. he didnt ask for opinions on what he should and shouldnt mod

probably not, no

Modding any car is useless, and money would be better put elsewhere. But if someone wants todo engine mods to a grand am he wants it to become faster. That's just not the car, because it never will be "fast". Put thousands into the thing and it just might run 14's. :dunno:

Take Jared for example. Yes the car was unique and "fast" for what it was, but for what he put into it, it would be more practical to start with a different car. That's why he got out of the GA at the good time and bought a TBSS.

Smoke

Addict
Feb 11, 2009
just letting you know from experience...

Yeah, I know its gonna cost some money.

Yes, I realize im not modding an all-that-fast car to begin with.But I can either take out a loan for a $20,000 car (plus interest), and then pay out the ass for basic parts and insurance for it-or I can take $6000 cash (to pick a figure) and have a GA thats unique,respectably fast , and will be the ultimate sleeper.

And Ill be laughing all the way to the bank with my low insurance premiums. lolz

@ Panda-If I wanna put $50,000 into my car and run 16's , thats my business. Youve made it clear what your opinion is. And im disregarding it. Its my car. I respect you enough to not lay into you about your redundant points.

BTW, Jareds GA has a different engine completely.May I remind you that the fastest GA is a 2.4 running 12's at the moment.

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
do what you want, get a honduh for a DD, mooks first reply was correct

but really dont come crying or complaining how expensive it is to hit 14s or high 13s in your car and then trying to keep it from breaking/exploding all the time... seriously

and

I predict if you do go ahead and mod your GA and get into some speed, you will realize after headaches and everything else, you will probably part-out and trade it in on a stock FI or v8 car within a couple years anyways

Thread Info