Any Other GXP's in here I have a prob

SilentShado

303 HP+315 ft lbs = 1 GXP with 2 bald bridgestones
Apr 3, 2009
Mchenry, IL
Here is my dilema. The last 3 times that I got an oil change after 2000 miles I start my car and it starts ticking. I pull the dipstick and no oil on it. I put oil in drive to the oil change place get it changed, and agin 2000 miles later. Well I took it to the dealer and they said that I had a leaking oil pan gasket, which I don't believe seeing that there was never a spot left on the garage floor. Well this morning I started it with the remote start and tick tick tick. for at least 15 seconds. And here comes my second problem, this time the oil was full, but this is not the first time it started dry with a full pan of oil. Any questions or suggestions, I don't want to seise my engine with only 25k miles. Sorry for being so long winded, I just want to see if anyone else with the ls4 motor starts dry on cold mornings or from sitting more then 1 day.

Smoke

Addict
Feb 11, 2009
Here is my dilema. The last 3 times that I got an oil change after 2000 miles I start my car and it starts ticking. I pull the dipstick and no oil on it. I put oil in drive to the oil change place get it changed, and agin 2000 miles later. Well I took it to the dealer and they said that I had a leaking oil pan gasket, which I don't believe seeing that there was never a spot left on the garage floor. Well this morning I started it with the remote start and tick tick tick. for at least 15 seconds. And here comes my second problem, this time the oil was full, but this is not the first time it started dry with a full pan of oil. Any questions or suggestions, I don't want to seise my engine with only 25k miles. Sorry for being so long winded, I just want to see if anyone else with the ls4 motor starts dry on cold mornings or from sitting more then 1 day.

Do you have a warranty on the car?

Next time you park your car, put some cardboard under the engine to see if theres any leak. I understand you post , but this eliminates any doubt, and if there is a leak you can accurately see where it is coming from.

Next time you start the car, make sure theres oil (obviously) and turn on the car via remote start with you facing the back of the car. If you see blue/white smoke on startup thats another clue in your favor.

As long as theres oil in the motor you should be fine,and if something failed catatastrophically your motor would have probably failed already.

Do the checks, and keep us updated.
-Smok3

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
i've worked on several ls4's w/ oil consumption issues. mostly in the valve guides....they had a small amount (you judge how many this is lol) or valves that have small knicks in the stem, and chew up the vlave guide and seal. gm's fix is to replace both heads, complete. if it's under warranty, take it in

i also had one that needed rings, i put the heads on it, and it got better, but still used oil, the customer decided not to have the work done though....

also, the front valve cover pcv passages get clogged up, easy fix is to take them off and blow them out...

driving habits also contribute to oil consumption.....on a normally operated vehicle, gm says 1qt every 2000 miles is acceptable...if you romp on it all the time, your consumption could be normal

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
the trans really isnt weak...the only time i've heard of these trans going out at a stock power level is when they are beat on all the time...just like the gtp. they changed the the drive chains to a better chain in 05....seems to hold up nicely.

the bottom end isnt nearly as strong as a 3800, but there is plenty of aftermarket for it. and ls parts will fit, you could easily have a 6.2 in there....

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
neither actually....

the 243 heads flow plenty, you could use ls3 pistons/sleeves which would increase the bore w/ the ls4 crank....the ls4 crank is shortened a bit to allow the fwd platform....i may not be thinking correctly this morning, but i KNOW it can be done....ill think more about this and report back lol

bdyman

can i haz bondo?
Sep 9, 2008
cicero
Real Name
chris
i think hes right there should be a tsb on it too, my gxp burns through a quart every 2,000, and once a while i get the tick tick tick then it goes away, my tranny took a shit on me a few weeks ago
i dont beat on it i dont drag race it, normal every day driving, the tranny tech told me that it is inferior parts inside, to much torque, when he showed me the internals i couldnt believe what it looked like it was horrible

and now its back in again for tranny issues, i wish i bought something else

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info