Thinking of getting a new car...

What should I get

• Total voters

Max

I'm Just Here For The Gasoline...
May 24, 2007
The Wastelands
Hit it.

GP is $300 under right now for Diag fees... with approx $1400 of work to go, i could do most of it myself, but i'm feel lazy and would like a change....Fucking LIM gaskets...

Should i cut my losses and get something new with an actual warranty and help stimulate the economy?

or just fix the whore and keep feeding her money...

And if you pick other, suggest something reasonable

Max

May 24, 2007
The Wastelands
I'm leaning heavily toward the jeep...I really do want a manual

it's a 3.8L V-6 6-speed

brand new,
$22k sticker on it,
lifetime powertrain on a 4x4,
it's a 4x4,

I love my GP, i really do, but i've been trying to think more of, do i need vs. do i want....i've wanted a jeep since i could drive honestly...and it would have a warranty so i wouldn't have to worry about shit breaking, I *hopefully* wouldn't be as tempted to mod it...i know, i could do a lift, big tires, etc, but i wouldn't.

I was also looking at a Chrysler 300 with AWD....i do like those too...

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Hit it.

GP is $300 under right now for Diag fees... with approx $1400 of work to go, i could do most of it myself, but i'm feel lazy and would like a change....Fucking LIM gaskets...

Should i cut my losses and get something new with an actual warranty and help stimulate the economy?

or just fix the whore and keep feeding her money...

And if you pick other, suggest something reasonable

Sounds like you are being ripped off. I can look at your LIM and tell you if it's leaking for free, and charge $150 for replacement.

edit, Jeeps look cool...but even with the V6 it will suck gas. I have rented them a few times on the road and with the v6 had a hard time getting 20mpg on the highway when I was really trying. If you are taliking about the standard Jeep, it's the most redicoulosly impractical vehicle of all time. It's a seasonal vehicle that is great for doing certain activities you may do every other month.

I don't mean to sound like a "Dad", but I would look into a fun car you can enjoy. By fun car I don't mean $$$; it's no fun working your ass off to afford a car you can never have time to drive...been there, done that.

If your car has 60K+ on it with plastic LIM gaskets I can tell you they are leaking without looking at them...lol

Seriously, if you need work on the car look me up all I do is 3800's.

skeezer

TCG Elite Member
Jan 3, 2008
Luke's Beef
jeep-cherokee-srt8.jpg

98GTPDriva

TCG Elite Member
Jun 24, 2008
There's not enough information here...

Do you work full-time and can you afford it?
Do you still owe on the GP?
What monthly payment do you want / can you afford?
Can you handle the increased insurance premiums with a newer vehicle?

How many miles on the GP? What year is it?
What is the past like, lots of problems, a few problems, no problems, etc.
How much have you modded it?
What is the overall condition of it?

The above can explain a lot. I can tell you I just bought an 09 G8 GT at a steal and I love it... mind you I kept the GP too.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
$1400 worth of work still? Are they just doing the LIM gaskets? If so, holy hell man. You can have a fellow GP/3800 guy from here or something do it for waaaay cheaper. Heck, I got my LIM gaskets done under warranty, but the invoice total was about $760. You're getting way screwed

Max

May 24, 2007
The Wastelands
I can do my own LIM gasket. Thats just what the dealer said.

All of this is P/L
$250 for ABS wire harness
$190 Washer fluid pump
$480 LIM replacement
$115 Tranny cooler line
$100 coolant flush (it's nasty brown old dex)
$290 rear 02, causing car to backfire right now according to them
$400 rear valve cover, front was done under recall

and yes, i know VC and LIM and Flush would be combined and therefore cheaper, but i'll be doing LIM and VC myself

I can get the jeep for ~$14k =) payments total would be about $60 more than i'm paying now and insurance would be $6 more a month

And this will have 3 year bumper to bumper with lifetime powertrain...engine, tranny, 4x4 shit, everything.

gas consumption would be about the same as a G8 GT

I'm kinda getting tired of the GP, i loathe and am looking forward to tearing into it for the gaskets...I still like the idea of race karz.....but i just feel like i need something different...and the jeep is something i'd have to actually step up into instead of falling into...and it's just a small step compared to my dad's Ram that sits 10 feet in the air...

Thread Info