anyone know anything of substance about diesels?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
any first hand info would be greatly appreciated...

Right now I am kinda hunkering down on 02,03 7.3 powerstrokes, along with 02-04.5 duramaxes... and 04.5-06 duramaxes...

stuff i kinda think i know so far...

02-03 powerstrokes are kinda unstoppable... but transmissions will go out... not if- but when...

02-04.5 duramaxes- get super good fuel economy (20+ normally), are quite quick for what they are out of the box (stock), but have injectors inside their valve covers which enjoy going out... and the injectors them selves normally go for at least 1k+... that scares me...

04.5-06 duramaxes- prolly the least amount of fuel economy... not as quick as the powerstroke or older duramax... not as many mods... but dont have the injector problem... has a variable vane turbo, as well as a cold idle computer function which makes the truck run at a higher rpm when cold out... (seems to be a pretty cool thing on the duramax forums...) also... allison transmission is badass...

basically. i want the ride of a newer gmc, wiith the potential of an older gmc, with the reliability of the powerstroke, the fuel economy of an early duramax, and the looks of a ford... someone molest that into a truck for me.

and yeah... dodge has cummins, and those are badass, but I will not be caught dead in a dodge. so dont go there

so is there anything to contribute in my search?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
02-03 Strokes have been out for quite some time now, I'm sure transmissions really aren't 'that bad' as far as cost goes, and I'm sure you can get a 'built' tranny for cheaper than you could for a newer Dirtymax.

I've been in my buds 05 Dirtymax, and she's a beast, but still got 20-21mpg on the freeway when he wasn't whomping on it, Plummeted to 14.5 with the chip and whomping on it.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
gm interior though...that would be a sick truck

with gm's ride quality.. fuck yeah.

pffft cummins12 or 24v/NV4500/atlas swapped in a 67-72 bumpside highboy or a 79 K30 3+3

yes please.

I don't have any first-hand experience, but last year we bought these guys, http://www.pickuptrucks.com/index.html. The site's creator, Mike Levine, has been writing about trucks for 15 years and there's lots of testing and technical info about all the diesels over there.

Like this shootout from 2003 of diesels: http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/stories/2003shootout/page1.html

nice nice.
im not sure where your firsst lnk was supposed to take me.

Diesel's need routine maintenance far more than that of a car/regular truck. Fuel filters and injectors are very easily clogged.

Oil changes are more expensive.

but they get better gas mileage and are more reliable... and what kind of experience are you talking from about the injectors being very easily clogged

Alacran

GM fanatic
Jan 18, 2009
Chicago
7.3 FTW. BTW the oil change interval is at least 5k miles but many places that change oil dont know that.

Fuel filters are 30k. I am not a Ford guy but i would by one with a 7.3 in it.

Also, if those are Bosch injectors you are talking about in the Chevy they have made improvements on those IIRC but they are probably exhausting old stock too.

One more thing. On common rail fuel injectors stay away from Biodiesels! B20 the highest but Bio diesel will shorten the life of the fuel system b/c of contaminents getting through the fuel filter that were built up in the fuel tanks. ULSFD takes lubricity out of the fuel so feel free to add some oil to the fuel tank for preventive maintenance but definately after an injector swap (the oil in the fuel helps the injector break in.)

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
7.3 FTW. BTW the oil change interval is at least 5k miles but many places that change oil dont know that.

Fuel filters are 30k. I am not a Ford guy but i would by one with a 7.3 in it.

Also, if those are Bosch injectors you are talking about in the Chevy they have made improvements on those IIRC but they are probably exhausting old stock too.

One more thing. On common rail fuel injectors stay away from Biodiesels! B20 the highest but Bio diesel will shorten the life of the fuel system b/c of contaminents getting through the fuel filter that were built up in the fuel tanks. ULSF takes lubricity out of the fuel so feel free to add some oil to the fuel tank for preventive maintenance but definately after an injector swap (the oil the fuel helps the injector break in.)

that is much appreciated information, and myself, like you, I am not a Ford guy, but I would most definitely buy one with a 7.3 in it.

LSx S10

TCG Elite Member
Nov 15, 2007
Lombard, IL
if it were me, i would go for the silverado duramax. I've worked on a lot of powerstrokes and a lot of duramax's, and i feel that there is no comparison in ride quality. the duramax is so much smoother, the allison shifts like butter, and even lifted it rides like a cadillac. the ford just feels too much like a work truck.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I have heard so many good things about the Allison trans that I would pick that and the Duramax because I haven't heard anything that bad about the newer Duramax. Well I guess other than the decreased modability but that isn't that much of a negative because I am sure it will continue to grow.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
if it were me, i would go for the silverado duramax. I've worked on a lot of powerstrokes and a lot of duramax's, and i feel that there is no comparison in ride quality. the duramax is so much smoother, the allison shifts like butter, and even lifted it rides like a cadillac. the ford just feels too much like a work truck.

im so nervous about the injector bs tho..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info