Educate me: Brakes

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
OK. so its time for some new brakes. they have at least 20k that i put on them, plus, i dont even know if the guy before me ever changed them so they might have 40k on them. SO... i cant afford a 1-2k Brembro set up or anthing. Id say budget is 300 bucks max. What can i do to get a little more performance out of my brakes? Obviously better pads, but what is a good brand? Also, if i need new rotors, which i most likely do, cross cut? drilled? i know thats a never ending argument, but i do mostly street driving, might hit up the track once or twice in the summer, and thats it.

Any advice is helpful

Thanks guys

Mickey

Look at those low rates!
Feb 13, 2008
Normal, IL
Real Name
Mickey Cole
If I was going to do the brakes on your car I would just resurface the rotors and put some hawk pads on it. I wouldn't recommend slotted or cross drilled rotors. They're useless unless you're racing. With 40k on the rotors you should be able to have them resurfaced. If you take off the rotors some places will resurface them for pretty cheap. I know Farm and Fleet does it for about 10 dollars a rotor.

Shibby50

TCG Elite Member
Mar 30, 2008
Braidwood, IL
If I was going to do the brakes on your car I would just resurface the rotors and put some hawk pads on it. I wouldn't recommend slotted or cross drilled rotors. They're useless unless you're racing. With 40k on the rotors you should be able to have them resurfaced. If you take off the rotors some places will resurface them for pretty cheap. I know Farm and Fleet does it for about 10 dollars a rotor.

X2 Just look at some good hawk pads, everyone here seems to agree on that part.

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton

listen to this guy.

Slider

Regular
Jan 3, 2008
NW Chicago
Pads make a big difference. I got my Hawk pads at http://www.autopartswarehouse.com it seems like they had the best deal w/ free shipping, they also had the best price on blank Brembo rotors. I would stay away from cross drilled or slotted rotors unless you really like the looks and are willing to spend the cash, otherwise just go with Brembo blanks or resurface yours and save yourself some money.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i would resurface and get hawk hps

if you autox then same or maybe carbotech panther+ (i use these)

if you road race then carbotech panther+, super blue racing brake fluid, OEM blanks or some form of slotted rotors

if you want to stop quicker then stickier/wider tires, i like the dunlop direzza sport Z1 star specs, on my sti and my brother's s2k. the above stuff is not going to make you stop quicker

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info