An Odd Twist of Fate

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
didnt you only have like 2 cars last week in your sig. now theres 5. wow...

Lol!

I'm just screwing around with my sig, my cars are still my truck and coupe, the rest are just flips and part-outs.

u would. lol

:dunno: mid 15's is enough to put most/all 'generic' ricers to shame, and its not like I'm installing altezzas and dayton rims...

The truck is still going to be the 1/4th project, I just essentially had the LS swap 'fall into my lap' due to the situation, so I might as well do it :), Really doesn't affect MPG or drivability, I'm just pulling a 1.5 liter SOHC in favor of a 1.8 DOHC (106hp/92tq-142hp/127tq) which in a 2200lb car is a 'healty' bump IMO. The B-series motors also sound MUCH better, and respond to modifications better as well incase I decide I want more out of it.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Props to you for being able to handle an engine swap on your own. However....why bother? Moving from a 16 second car to a 15 second car? Are you that bored? If I was going to do a motor swap, I'd like to at least drop a couple seconds off my ET to make it worthwhile.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Exactly! I would just boost the motor that is in there now, and then when it pops....replace it with another weak motor.

D series honda motors (Specifically the USDM D15 family) have very VERY weak rods, and do not respond well to boost above like 5-6 PSI. I'd be lucky to get 160WHP out of a boosted D15B7 (the motor in the car now)

B18's are much MUCH stronger, namley the B18B1 (the motor I swapped in the past, and am swapping this time) has some of the strongest factory rods in it that Honda has made (the LS motor does not need to spin to 9,000RPM to peak power, so they are built for reliability/strength and only a 7200RPM redline, not to be able to survive spinning a million RPM. This is one of the few honda motors that isn't 324535623456hp and 1tq at 234058345430 RPM. It peaks at only 5400RPM.

So between the strong rods, and lower peak output, I've seen stock B18B1 bottom ends hold 12-13-14PSI of boost with a good tune, and breaking 250+whp, as well as snapping off into the 12's.

*Cliffs* The B18 I'm putting in my civic, Just like I did to my old civic, I'm doing for a slew of reasons, including modibility, cost, reliability, and MPG (B18B1's have the widest twincam transmission Honda makes)

Props to you for being able to handle an engine swap on your own. However....why bother? Moving from a 16 second car to a 15 second car? Are you that bored? If I was going to do a motor swap, I'd like to at least drop a couple seconds off my ET to make it worthwhile.

Factory civic DX's run high 17's, low 18's, BALLS slow, I like to be able to merge/pass with ease, which is what my LS hatch could do.

ALSO, the torque curve on the B18 motors is ALOT fatter than with the crappy SOHC 1.5.

This would make more sense as you wont get what you want out of this honda.

In all honesty, I've had 3 offers for the $1600 that I wanted for the coupe... unfortunatly all 3 offers were after I'd already decided to keep it.

But yes, with the rust, I really can't 'hurt' its value by LS swapping it.

To each, his own I suppose... Would I mod a 4 door Civic? Probably not, but Dan does all of his own work and that's more than a lot of people can say.

I'm swapping the red coupe :)

blah blah blah honda

$20, hoods down, heads up. :squint:

Jesus Dan. You already have mounts and stuff?

Yup :bowrofl:

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
In all honesty, I've had 3 offers for the $1600 that I wanted for the coupe... unfortunatly all 3 offers were after I'd already decided to keep it.

But yes, with the rust, I really can't 'hurt' its value by LS swapping it.

Sell it, that's 3 times what its worth! Find another civic that is in better shape for your swap if you want to swap a motor so bad.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park

Exactly! I would just boost the motor that is in there now, and then when it pops....replace it with another weak motor.

Boost dat chit... and I do mean shit.

Boost isn't that easy on high compression motors.......

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info