Dealerships found to cost 34% More than Independent shops

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Vehicle Repairs Cost an Average 34% More at New Car Dealerships Than Independent Repair Shops

New AAIA Study Reveals Dramatic Differences

BETHESDA, Md., March 11 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Vehicle repairs cost an average 34 percent more at new car dealerships than at independent repair shops, resulting in $11.7 billion in excess costs annually to consumers, according to a first-of-its-kind study just released by the Automotive Aftermarket Industry Association (AAIA).

The study reveals dramatic differences in the costs of parts and labor between domestic and import vehicle nameplates and from city to city. Consumers in Los Angeles pay as much as 46.8 percent more at dealerships than independent repair shops for repairs. The cost to consumers of specific repairs also varies widely. For example, the average cost for radiator repair for a foreign nameplate vehicle, including parts and labor, is $325.99 higher at a dealer than at an independent shop; and the cost to purchase and install front brake pads on a foreign nameplate vehicle is $138.92 more at a dealer than at an independent shop.

AAIA's Vehicle Repair Cost Analysis: Comparing New Car Dealerships vs. Independents looks at the parts and labor costs of 10 vehicle repair jobs for domestic and foreign nameplate vehicles in six cities across the country, including Boston, Newark, Atlanta, St. Louis, Los Angeles and Seattle.

"In response to repeated requests by congressional leaders studying the merits of the Motor Vehicle Owners' Right to Repair legislation, AAIA commissioned a study to once and for all provide a comprehensive analysis that validated the contention that it costs consumers more to repair their vehicle at new car dealerships than at independent repair shops," said Kathleen Schmatz, AAIA president and CEO.

Highlights of the study include:

* Vehicle repairs for parts and labor averaged 34.3 percent more at new car dealers than at independent repair shops.
* Foreign nameplate repairs performed at dealers averaged 36.8 percent more than at independent repair shops while repairs performed on domestic nameplates averaged 31.5 percent more at dealerships than at independent repair shops.
* Total 2008 cost difference for consumers having repair work performed at car dealers rather than independent repair shops for the 10 jobs equaled 11.7 billion.

Copies of the study are available free to AAIA members. The cost to non-AAIA members is $400. To obtain a copy, contact Member Services at 301-654-6664 or e-mail [email protected] or visit the association online commerce center at www.aftermarket.org.

About AAIA

AAIA is a Bethesda, Md.-based association whose more than 23,000 members and affiliates manufacture, distribute and sell motor vehicle parts, accessories, service, tool, equipment, materials and supplies. Through its membership, AAIA represents more than 100,000 repair shops, parts stores and distribution outlets.

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
PT i take to Scarsdale auto 5 blocks from my house. 300c hasn't needed service outside of an oil change in a while. The Eos is my moms car and i'm afraid of the german technology. You pay the premium because people assume that these "specialized" techs will do a better job than joe greasyhand down the block and you're getting genuine OEM parts. Is it worth it? Are there stealerships? It's the consumers responsibility to be knowledgeable and find the right place.

andcbii

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2008
PT i take to Scarsdale auto 5 blocks from my house. 300c hasn't needed service outside of an oil change in a while. The Eos is my moms car and i'm afraid of the german technology. You pay the premium because people assume that these "specialized" techs will do a better job than joe greasyhand down the block and you're getting genuine OEM parts. Is it worth it? Are there stealerships? It's the consumers responsibility to be knowledgeable and find the right place.

plus if the dealer fucks up your car you can sue them for a lot more money.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Poopy makes a good point, some people feel comfortable paying the extra money because the cars are handled by factory trained technicians with the factory diagnosis equipment.

If I had a German car I would likely take it to a dealer also.

Poopshinanigans

Nov 18, 2007
Poopy makes a good point, some people feel comfortable paying the extra money because the cars are handled by factory trained technicians with the factory diagnosis equipment.

If I had a German car I would likely take it to a dealer also.

Poopy? Just call me Poops. But seriously, any shop worth it's salt will be able to handle any vehicle that is at least 3 years old. I say 3 because that is probably the average year of a warranty where you take the car to the dealer no matter what. That way all the newer stuff is cheaper, there is a bigger stock pile of parts and the technology is accessible to smaller shops. Once the warranty was done on almost all of our cars we take em to our trusted shop. I've had better dealings with my local shop than almost any dealer i've taken our cars into. They don't bull shit me and tell me i don't need certain things done instead of telling me my muffler bearings and they do quality work. Finally its 5 blocks away, so no matter the season i can just drop it off and walk home instead of finding a ride or hoping the dealership offers a shuttle.

Poopshinanigans

Nov 18, 2007
Gotcha. Poopy it is.

Poop!!!!!
shenanigans.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info