• Toyota ...?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (posted below)

Votes: 15 60.0%

• Total voters

Jennifer

Regular
Jan 26, 2008
"Domestic" or "import" is all in the fine print... ;)

mazda is domestic

The four-door Mazda 626 and the two-door MX-6, which are built at Mazda's Flat Rock, Mich., assembly plant, will contain more than 75 percent domestic content. Thus, the auto maker expects the Environmental Protection Agency to classify the cars as "domestic" for purposes of complying with corporate average fuel economy regulations.

The Honda Motor Company has also been building cars in Ohio that it says contain 75 percent domestic content. But because Honda also imports Accords built in Japan, the model's average domestic content is not large enough to qualify the Accord as a domestic car.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E0CE6D81339F934A35751C0A964958260

Last edited:

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Other. subaru legacy gt

2008SummerLegacyGT.jpg

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
If you arent concerned with racing around everywhere like most of us, just buy whatever one of those cars you can get the best deal on. If you are buying new, it really doesnt matter what the "best" is. Warrantees are great on pretty much anything new, and the dealer gets stiffed with the repair bills.

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
How much fun do you want?
Power and handling can be accomplished with one of the following:
BMW 335i 300hp (also come as a 335Xi for all-wheel drive fun all year round)
BMW 535i 300hp (also come as a 535Xi for all-wheel drive fun all year round)
BMW 550i 360hp
BMW M5 500hp

They all can come with the 6-speed manual transmission.

Also the Pontiac G8 GTP is technically an import from Austrailia. You should really check it out.

Speed is just a question of money, How fast do you want to go?

Last edited:

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Out of the cars you listed, they all have 5-or 6-speed automatics in the higher trim levels with more powerful engines. None of them come with manuals and a V-6.

The Altima or Accord would be the most fun to drive out of the ones you listed, with the Accord as my choice because it comes with stability control standard and is my personal favorite design out of pedestrian midsizers.

Considering you're listing midsize sedans in the $20-30k range I don't think a 3 Series or Audi is in your price range for a new car. Otherwise the 335i sedan or Infiniti G37 sedan would be excellent entry level luxury sports sedans; you can get them in manuals in the more powerful engines, also get both in AWD. Are you looking new or used?

Last edited:

Jennifer

Regular
Jan 26, 2008
^ Thanks for articulating what I didn't.

Definitely my price range. I've only had inline 4's and have never driven a V6.

new or used? I voted altima, if you are looking at used, the 02-06 3.5SE altimas are a nice choice and have a 5-speed option, SE-Rs have a 6-speed. Also the 02-03 maxima's are a good choice too, and come in a 6 speed.

Used probably.

I've never driven a 6spd.. hrm...

Oreif said:
How much fun do you want?
Power and handling can be accomplished with one of the following:
BMW 335i 300hp (also come as a 335Xi for all-wheel drive fun all year round)
BMW 535i 300hp (also come as a 535Xi for all-wheel drive fun all year round)
BMW 550i 360hp
BMW M5 500hp

They all can come with the 6-speed manual transmission.

Also the Pontiac G8 GTP is technically an import from Austrailia. You should really check it out.

Speed is just a question of money, How fast do you want to go?
I'm not balla enough for a bimmer.

I want cheap(er) stock HP... no bolt-ons. I'm too old for that, and don't have the desire to throw my $ into a car a-la bolt-ons and swaps anymore.

For basis of comparison, I drive a base-model '04 Civic. I get like, what, ~130 wph. Sad, I know, but the beauty is having CONTROL and being able to downshift and pass slow-asses. I enjoy the logistics of DRIVING. I don't drive reckless and like to cruise, but I also don't have patience to putz around.

dmc6996 said:
volvo s60/80. go test drive one you will like it.
Volvos have manual trans?

I had my heart set on a Volvo years back... trouble was, everything was auto trans.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Check out the Accord EX and EX-L depending on your price range. The "L" stands for leather and is more expensive but you can get a 190-hp four-cylinder with a five-speed manual in both EX models. There's a lower horsepower four-cylinder on less-expensive trims. The EX-L is about $25,000 but in today's climate there's no way you should have to pay that much. The Accord also has excellent safety ratings from IIHS.org, higher than the others.

It may be hard to find a manual Accord because not too many people buy them, but they are out there.

Unfortunately the Accord does kind of look like a grocery getter. The coupe looks better but as far as sporty looking, the Altima looks sportier IMO. But styling is of course very subjective.

Thread Info