Buffing Compounds

Runtz52

Runs like a turtle with downs syndrome
Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
not exactly a repair question but anyways, my car has surface scratches from the headlight to the tail light on the right side, the old lady that owned this car previously had bushes lining her driveway so u see where this is going. any who so my car is completely covered in scratches, none through the paint id say about 95% of them are only through the clear coat. i figured i could buff most of them out. i figured id ask what kind of buffing compound to use. my dad has an air compressor powered buffer so id figure id try to do it myself instead of paing to get it detailed.

thanks in advance

EDIT: the first five pics show the scratches, and that they arent really visible at a distance

http://s730.photobucket.com/albums/ww310/runtz52/

Last edited:

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
If you havent done it before, or dont have a REALLY good idea, then leave it alone. You will burn through the paint pretty easily if you dont know what you are doing.

EDIT: To answer your question, I have no idea what buffing compounds you can buy at the auto parts store. My dad did body work for quite a few years, so Ive always used whatever he bought and kept around here.

Runtz52

Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
Jared,
i have been restoring a 51 chevy with my dad for 10+ years, i know of burning through paint, it fucking sucks, u learn from ur mistakes :hsugh: haha. i would prolly have him do it more than likely, im sure mequiars or somebody likes that makes a nice one, im just trying to go from personal experiences

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
not exactly a repair question but anyways, my car has surface scratches from the headlight to the tail light on the right side, the old lady that owned this car previously had bushes lining her driveway so u see where this is going. any who so my car is completely covered in scratches, none through the paint id say about 95% of them are only through the clear coat. i figured i could buff most of them out. i figured id ask what kind of buffing compound to use. my dad has an air compressor powered buffer so id figure id try to do it myself instead of paing to get it detailed.

thanks in advance

EDIT: the first five pics show the scratches, and that they arent really visible at a distance

http://s730.photobucket.com/albums/ww310/runtz52/

PM KTraverSS, he would know.

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Hey there, that does look a little like brushed SS!!

Its hard to say just one product that would work for something like that. I would start with a mild polish, like my Ultimate Paint Cleaner/Polish with an orbital buffer, and work my way up to something more aggressive like a compound until I see the results I want. Then, I would go back over it with lighter swirl remover, and then top it off with some Ultimate Paint Sealant. First off though, I would highly recommend prepping the surface with a clay barring process before doing any of these steps. I would not, however, recommend trying an air driven high speed buffer without practicing on some junk body panels from the junkyard. I also believe from the looks of the pics that these are not very deep scratches and most can be removed without even using a high speed. The newer polishes can be broken down with an orbital, and are much easier to work with. If you would like to purchase any of the products I mentioned visit the website in my sig or give me a call to pick them up directly from the shop.

-Kevin

Runtz52

Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
thanks u ron ill look into them, and sools (aka IMPALA) my dad is highly experienced with this buffer cant remember what speed it is, last thing i helped him with was the front fenders about a yr ago. i trust him to help me and im sure well be able to get the ;umi lookin good

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info