What transmission to use?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
4R70w is the trans you're looking for Das.

I know that's the trans that comes on the 4X4 V-8 Exploders, any lists of 2WD applications? or is it just the tailshaft that matters etc? (Wiki has a list of applications, but Ideally I'd like the Exploder trans because of the mount locations etc... Or are the mount locations all the same regardless of what model of car/truck it is in? (I guess the most important question, is "Is the V-6 Explorer transmission still the 4R70w, which can be had in 2wd?")

Last edited:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Just use a 5.4S/C engine and the transmission that goes along with it. They are built decently from the factory and if a heavier F150 can take the power, your light ass Ranger shouldnt have any issues.

Requires quite alot of modification to stuff the 5.4 into the ranger, Google "SVT Ranger Thunderbolt"

302 is nearly a bolt-in swap.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Yeah Ford put the 4r70W in pretty much anything and everything. IIRC it is the same as the AOD and AODE except it's electronic and has a wider ratio than the AOD. That piece of shit came in all V8 and V6 applications. It came in my thunderbird, my grand marquis, mustangs, exploders, etc.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info