dave8590

Regular
Oct 6, 2008
the OP (orland park)
Real Name
dave miller
so my truck has got all kinds of problems underneath
its a 97 K1500 Z71

first when i make a sharp turn in a parking lot or somewhere sharp theres a pop or thump coming from the front

also whenever i go over a bump theres clunking like none other, it sounds like the rear end id gonna fall off i think this is the shocks but im not sure

help please

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
i'll guess ~100k miles and since its the K ya got the 4x4 ifs, dont know if you have larger than factory tires but here goes the most common parts that fail causing those noises

sharp turn noise, idler or pitman arms are at the top of the list, draglink is usually fine sometimes the inner/outter tie rods are worn, other possibility is the wheel bearings (more common with larger tires) look for rubbing of the rotor on the caliper bracket. lower ball joints are usually worn way more than the uppers but this will also cause a noise like you mention. sway bar end links are also a distinct possibility but is more likely to be noisy on of camber bumps vs's hard turns.

the clunking noise over bumps is very likely the torsion bar xmember mounts, this is easy to check for use a 2ft or longer prybar and with the tip on the framerail pry upward on the torsion bar xmember if you can lift it more than 1/2inch they are likely torn apart (sometimes it's just one side that rips but replace both) when they are totally ripped apart youll be able to lift the TB Xmember upwards over an inch

also check the trans/Tcase mount as it's known to slam up ndown if going over bumps while accelerating.

GM 4x4IFS sucks straight axle swaps get rid of 90% of the IFS headaches.

good luck with er

dave8590

Regular
Oct 6, 2008
the OP (orland park)
Real Name
dave miller
take the vortec max sticker off you ricer

wow really?

make me take it off ya bitch
it looks good and i did some engine work on the VORTEC engine thats IN it so i figured i might as well put it on

and why so hostel, what have i done to you or said to you in the past?
or do you just enjoy bein an annoying little prick

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info